Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Could you live off $63 a month for food

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 602 Replies
They cut my stamps again although income hasn't changed.. It was $440 a month now it's $380 for 6 people ( 4 kids & 2 adults) so that's about $63 per person.. & I have a kid I have to feed twice a week.. I am thankful for the help however I am worried how to make that work
Food panties I guess.. Yes we work btw & hubby is in college and I'm studying for my GED
** It was Financial aid for hubby's school which he never had money left over & it ran out

**EDIT:: I was not complaining only looking to stretch the money , Tips.. My hubby works 35-40 a week plus goes to college full time thanks to a scholarship , if he cut some of his classes he would loose the scholarship. I didn't get my GED because the foster care system made me quit HS because I was so behind & would have need another year or two past 18 years old.. That was due to my mom moving alot & me having learning disabilities . I did work until I got laid off in late 2010 I used to make $12 an hour.. I have arthritis in my back so I'm not supposed to do any heavy lifting. I put in job apps throughout the week even had interviews .. I'm not winning either just stating facts.. I live in Illinois where the taxs are high.. Wish I could garden but I live in a apartment & there are no community gardens. We don't do drugs, don't smoke, don't get my nails done , don't get my hair done, don't eat out more than twice a year, we only have Internet because my hubby & the kids need it for school, don't have cable, get our clothes used, garage or clearance sales.. I pay rent $700, I pay hear & lights, a car payment $188, hubby pays $40 a week for train fare to get to school, car gas the public transpiration where I am is very limited, my phone is $65 a month the phone itself ( a smart phone) cost $100, .. Again not complaining I am thankful I was only looking the best way to stretch my FS as once I pay my bills there is little left.. Ps although I have always been poor I haven't always been on FS About five years been on it .. I have had the medical card off & on since 1998. My kids are two 15 year olds, 10 almost 11 year old, 6 almost 7 year old, & 4 year old. ( One of the 15 we only have twice a week,one week in winter, two weeks in summer & holidays) We care for my stepson who we never have gotten anything in Childsupport. I get $200 in support for two of my kids for support total not per kid.
I left my typo since it was funny.. panties lol
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:20 AM
4 moms liked this
Work more.
smorgan865
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:21 AM
40 moms liked this

It's supposed to supplement. Yes I do believe I could live off that amount. I spend $240ish for 4 people.

I shop sales, coupon, stockpile and meal plan. It's not that difficult.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:22 AM
6 moms liked this
Wah wah waaaah they cut my food stamps! You do what you have to do to get to a better place. Whining about free help? No sympathy here.
.Skittles.
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:22 AM
5 moms liked this

You're just going to have to look for ways to cut grocery costs. Make everything from scratch, sales, coupons.That will save a lot. Try this site www.hillbillyhousewife.com

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:22 AM
2 moms liked this
Get another job!
Mystres
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:23 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes.  I coupon.

i end up spending $150 a month on food for 4 people.

you may not be able to eat ribs and steak on that budget but it is doable.

Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I would be getting another job. 

crysiann
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
This, it's a supplement.

Quoting smorgan865:

It's supposed to supplement. Yes I do believe I could live off that amount. I spend $240ish for 4 people.

I shop sales, coupon, stockpile and meal plan. It's not that difficult.

pasteeater_too
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:23 AM
32 moms liked this

You said food panties.  I know they make them, but I don't think you should feed them to your kids!  LOL I'm j/k!!!

othermom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:24 AM
2 moms liked this

I could make it work pretty well. Lots of rice, beans, pasta, bisquick to make pancakes and biscuts for meals. Shop sales and clearance, use coupons. We spend around $500 a month for our family of 5 and that includes all food, house hold stuff and pet food.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)