Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If your monthly income is very low

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 508 Replies
1 mom liked this
How do you survive?

I saw a few posts on the monthly income thread that had incomes less than $2,000 a month. How do you pay for everything on an income that low?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2014 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 8, 2014 at 11:23 AM
My income is 1200 and I've made it on my own before. It was tough but I did it. Now we live with my boyfriend and he makes about 2000 a month, so combined, it's not too bad.
couponleigh
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 11:23 AM
8 moms liked this

live within our means. we are tightly budgeted and stick to it. we are just under 2K a month but live in a lower cost of living area which helps. 

**note we do get medicare and medicaid, energy assistance once a year and a whopping $11 in food stamps**no housing. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 8, 2014 at 11:24 AM
5 moms liked this

my husband brings home $1600 a month. we do ok. its tight. but we live within our means and live simply. we get all our bills paid each month. just means we don't have much for extras. we happy and fine with that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 8, 2014 at 11:25 AM
I did it without. Honestly some months I'm not sure how we made it. But we did. I also worked 90 hours a week (overnights at a group home then nannying during the day)

Quoting Anonymous:

They get PA, food stamps, housing assistance and many other forms of government help. 

AnnieGoolaheey
by Mrs. Annie Proffitt on Feb. 8, 2014 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

At one time my husband made about 1,600 a month.  We lived in an area with a low cost of living.  We weren't on any PA.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2014 at 11:27 AM
2 moms liked this
I guess my question is how do you manage to pay all your bills?

Even living in a cheap apartment, your household bills alone are going to be close to your income. What about clothing for your kids or groceries or gas?

Quoting Anonymous:

my husband brings home $1600 a month. we do ok. its tight. but we live within our means and live simply. we get all our bills paid each month. just means we don't have much for extras. we happy and fine with that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 8, 2014 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Ours is $2800 and a struggle but make it work. Last were we were between $1000 to $1200 a month we got fs. But we lucked out and found a trailer to rent for only lot rent $295 a month.
lasombrs
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 11:29 AM
Our rent is $925, we have no car or ins payment. We own it and nh does not require it. No cable, no tv in the house at all actually. We pay $29 for internet about $125 for electric heat is electric so no other bill there. Dh and I have no ins never go to the dr. The kids have state ins ds is disabled so he gets his through social security. We don't eat out ever, we don't go anywhere or do anything usually unless it's a free kid event somewhere. I coupon for all the other items we need. It's easy for us to live off less then $2000
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 8, 2014 at 11:29 AM

We receive $730 in food stamps, Energy assistance, rent assistance, and get free formula from WIC. My mom pays for my phone. The only thing we really pay for is my Pathfinder payment.

BabyTeki
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 11:29 AM
Sucks but you make due. We were only bringing in about 1800 when DH was hurt.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)