Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So you're sick of seeing people on foodstamps, what's your solution?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:08 PM
  • 519 Replies
2 moms liked this

I see these posts about food stamps and some of you ladies complain about "welfare moms" I'd like to know what solutions you have to the problem. Realistic solutions. (i.e. retro active abortions and birth control are not real solutions) 

What are some real long term solutions to the food stamp problem? 

by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
couponleigh
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:10 PM
12 moms liked this

i have no issues with foodstamps however it is a broken system. it needs an overhaul where certain foods simply cannot be bought with it ie chips, packaged sweets and cookies, soda. there needs to be a stepping down system to help encourage people to get off welfare and food stamps, the current system is more punitive and not encouraging or supportive of families working to get off the system

Momma2Warriors
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:11 PM
14 moms liked this
When their and their Children's stomachs are empty they will do what generations have done.

Figure out how to put food on the table.
uknowsexic
by Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:12 PM
5 moms liked this
At least our taxes are feeding children....

Quoting mcdun:

I see these posts about food stamps and some of you ladies complain about "welfare moms" I'd like to know what solutions you have to the problem. Realistic solutions. (i.e. retro active abortions and birth control are not real solutions) 

What are some real long term solutions to the food stamp problem? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:12 PM
19 moms liked this
Well a nice start would be that the money they received in food stamps could be deducted from their large tax refunds due to EIC. Then that money could be cycled back into an already over burdened program. I think that most recipients wouldn't mind doing that.
Texor
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:12 PM
8 moms liked this

I agree that taking people off should be VERY gradual.  Often times you get a slight increase in income at work and that makes you lose your benefits and the raise is not enough to cover the increase in expenses.  That keeps people down.

Quoting couponleigh:

i have no issues with foodstamps however it is a broken system. it needs an overhaul where certain foods simply cannot be bought with it ie chips, packaged sweets and cookies, soda. there needs to be a stepping down system to help encourage people to get off welfare and food stamps, the current system is more punitive and not encouraging or supportive of families working to get off the system

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:13 PM
19 moms liked this
I think birth control should be free to anyone who wants it. Id be happy to see my tax dollars go there. No insurance required just go to the government family planning and get your script/shot/treatment.

That's for ANYONE not just welfare.

Id like to see a system that supports getting off "benefits" especially gradually when someone gets say a better paying job.

I'd very much like to see limits on living in public housing/section 8. Either you work full time, on unemployment or are disabled or elderly. (Or go to school full time)

I'd like to see welfare to work changed. Instead of requiring volunteer time and giving free daycare during those 40 hours a week, why not require mandatory work classes, job training, ged classes, etc and provide that child care?

I'd also like to see nutrition pamphlets or videos made to help those on stamps learn to cook healthy on what little they get.

That's all I have right off the top
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:13 PM
2 moms liked this
This is good. I think government rations of powdered milk and rice would motivate people to earn money to buy grocery store food.

Quoting couponleigh:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:14 PM
4 moms liked this
Lot of irresponsibility, throw in a sob story, pop out another kid, sprinkle with poor life decisions and then expect the goverment to take care of your herd.

I am not talking about those on it short term but those who make it a life style. Put a time limit in fs...if they can't get it together in 2 to 4 years, chances are they will be a leech on society gor the rest of their lives.
couponleigh
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:15 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous: Well a nice start would be that the money they received in food stamps could be deducted from their large tax refunds due to EIC. Then that money could be cycled back into an already over burdened program. I think that most recipients wouldn't mind doing that.

i agree, EIC is ridiculous in most cases, way insane amounts of money for people who paid no taxes, get them all back plus a huge bonus then squander it all 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:16 PM
26 moms liked this

I think you need a lesson on the Great Depression of the 30's

Quoting Momma2Warriors: When their and their Children's stomachs are empty they will do what generations have done.

Figure out how to put food on the table.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)