Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am going to be losing custody of my son

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 110 Replies

My son is 16. A few weeks ago he wanted me to start letting his gf stay the night. I said no and he responded with "dad lets me do it" of course I was pissed. I called my ex and we all had a sit down. It ended up with them saying that i was too prude, over controlling, and my ex said that DS should come live with him full time. 

DS of course agreed. I met with my lawyer to see what could be done and it turns out that my DS gets to pick where he lives. I tried to see if anything could be done about the sleepover but nothing can be. Because DS is over the age of consent it isnt illegal and even though my ex allows it they dont consider him unfit for it

Well my ex found out the same thing and next month we are going in front of a judge. They said there is a less than 1% chance of winning custody unless i can prove my ex is unfit (which he isnt) or if I show that my son is not mentally capable of making the decision which he isnt. 

I have just been crying all the time over it. I talked to my ex saying that he could live there and to just leave the custody alone but he doesnt want to.

I have never felt so heartbroken 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kissesxoxo8882
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Good Luck

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:25 PM
Gosh that sucks I'm sorry.
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:25 PM
8 moms liked this

You must feel so hurt and betrayed.

Your son is young, teenaged, and stubborn right now. I know it's not much of a consolation prize, but someday he will realize what he put you through and he will feel so terrible.

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:25 PM
4 moms liked this

That's horrible and a terrible lesson for your son to learn.

The best you can do is try to stay strong, and be there when he will need you - which he eventually will.

Try not to hold this against him.

bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:27 PM
That really sucks. I think in some states you would have a shot but it's crappy that some think that's acceptable.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:28 PM
Why does it matter if custody is switched? If you told your ex your son can live there, a piece of paper won't change the living situation. He will be living with the ex. You will have to pay Cs though. Is that your issue with "losing" custody?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this
:( that sucks, your ex probably wants custody changed so instead of paying childsupport, he will start to receive child support.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:29 PM
2 moms liked this

I will be losing all custody of my son...of course that matters

Right now we have 50/50 soon my ex will have 100% custody 

Child support is a non issue 

Quoting Anonymous: Why does it matter if custody is switched? If you told your ex your son can live there, a piece of paper won't change the living situation. He will be living with the ex. You will have to pay Cs though. Is that your issue with "losing" custody?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:29 PM
I think CS is 90% of the reason dads and moms want primary custody.. Not about reciving it but not wanting to pay it.

Quoting Anonymous: Why does it matter if custody is switched? If you told your ex your son can live there, a piece of paper won't change the living situation. He will be living with the ex. You will have to pay Cs though. Is that your issue with "losing" custody?
Blackburn3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:30 PM
4 moms liked this

Be strong for your son he will eventually see he was wrong they always do. 

Sometimes our kids have to find out for themselves the grass is not always greener on the other side. Just be there and support him. Sorry Mama HUGS 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)