Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone used Sittercity or Care.com to hire a babysitter? How was it?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 4:50 PM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this
Just want to get other moms' input. I had full time babysitters before when I was working full time. And usually, they were recommended by people who know people.
Since I would just be needing a sitter part time, I'm thinking of using companies like sitter city or care. Com?
What's your experience? And can you tell me
about your process? (Interviews, training etc) was it worth it? Thanks!
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2014 at 4:53 PM
care.com is a ripoff its subscription fees are ridiculous and you cant do anything without subscribing
TaralynnStewart
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Good question.... I'm curious too
Alona3milanya
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 4:55 PM
Oh ok good to know. I get emails from them about coupons and promos and about new caregiver in my area. But I guess that's how they get you.

Quoting Anonymous: care.com is a ripoff its subscription fees are ridiculous and you cant do anything without subscribing
TheFirstNoel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 4:56 PM

I know Care.com is a scam. Not sure about sittercity. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2014 at 4:56 PM
yup its a scam imo .

Quoting Alona3milanya: Oh ok good to know. I get emails from them about coupons and promos and about new caregiver in my area. But I guess that's how they get you.

Quoting Anonymous: care.com is a ripoff its subscription fees are ridiculous and you cant do anything without subscribing
KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 4:57 PM

I found my DCP on Sittercity. I posted exactly what I was looking for, and got a few e-mails from interested sitters. I liked her best as she was close, had kids my kid's age, and lived within the school district. We set up an interview, and she's been my DCP for a year and a half now.

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Feb. 9, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Someone asked this in another group. 

I haven't but my friend did. She found a sitter who agreed to watch her daughter. When the sitter came there she freaked out because my friend has a Pit Bull and refused to do the job. The sitter was informed of dogs and she even listed her dogs on the profile. Very unprofessional.  But I'm sure they're not all like that. I think she used Sittercity but I'm not sure. 

MelissaBabeh14
by ★Pink-Star★ on Feb. 9, 2014 at 4:59 PM
I would NEVER bring someone whom i dont know into my home to sit and be around my children! Scary.
ashley1693
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:02 PM
I've never hired from those sites but I found jobs on those sites. I used to work as a in-home nanny and those were the sites I used.
From a nanny stand point I loved them. Make sure you have a list of questions typed out before the possible nanny gets there (that way you remember all the questions you wanted to ask). Talk about possible situations (ex. If your child acts up how would the nanny punish,) be clear on what you expect (do you what them doing any cleaning? If so exactly what). Talk about the hours, and how much notice are you willing to give to cancel or charge the hours. Also talk about the pay (what are you willing to pay *per hour, day or week) also explain if you want to pay at the end of the day or week or what) If you have animals make sure they are OK with that (even better if you can allow the animals to come up to the nanny. *after you get the OK from the nanny). Allow the kids to meet the nanny.
As for training a good idea is have them come over for 2-3 days while your still there. Just to see how they do and if they have any questions.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I used sittercity with great success! There is a subscription fee, and I went to retailmenot and found a discount code. We have 3 boys, one of which is mildly autistic and I really wanted a  grown up, not just a teenager. You can browse the available sitters, but they recommend that you post a job, which is what I did. Several potential sitters replied, and I chose one I thought woukd be a good fit. After several attempts to schedule a call wwith the first girl, I gave up on her and went to the next one. She was great! She works as a preschool teacher at a school owned by her parents. She is sweet and nice and  responsible. She also has two sisters that will sit for us now, and  we like the family so much, we moved our youngest to her parent's school! We have been using her for over two years, and are very pleased. I definately would recommend giving it a try.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured