Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

so apparently I'm not doing enough by opening up my home to these people

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
My DH's cousin and her family are getting kicked out of their apartment complex. Apparently they've missed the rent too many times. She lost her job a few months ago and I know they been struggling. Because they're being evicted though and have no money to put down on a deposit they are not going to be able to find another place to rent. They live 45 min from us but we are not very close. They need a place to stay and we are the only family who is close enough to where they were living for her DH to keep his job who also have a big enough home to let them stay with us. We invited them to stay with us for up to two months and they took us up on the offer they will be moving in on tuesday. We have a 5 bedroom home. It's mostly just one story with the bonus room and bathroom upstairs. His cousin and her DH have two young children, a 6 month old and two year old. Obviously they would either have to be in the same room with the kids or in a room right next door. Our downstairs bedrooms are all being used. My original thought was to give them two bedrooms, one for them and one for their children but then I realize that would involve moving two of my children upstairs to the big bedroom and as they are only six and three I'm not really comfortable with that particularly with a the 3 year old. Plus it seems pointless to move their entire bedrooms all the way upstairs when the cousin and her family will only be with us a couple of months. The upstairs bonus bedroom is the size of the master bedroom with a huge closet and as I said a private bathroom and since they said they're only going to be staying with us for a month or two I figured it wouldn't be a big deal. Plus it would give them more privacy. Yesterday, they came and brought some f their stuff. We had already told them that any furniture besides bedroom furniture would probably have to go in storage. Though they brought a lot more than I thought they would. They seemed happy enough with the arrangements but about an hour after they left I got a call from my MIL. She said that they had been talking to his cousins mother who is my MIL sister and apparently they're upset that they're all going to be in one room. I explained mother in law my reasonings and reminded her that we were the only ones who opened their home to these people.. MIL said that were not being very hospitable. I blew her off but I did talk to DH about it. We're both feeling as though these cousins are being very ungrateful. I mean here we are opening our home to them and then they're turning around and complaining. The more I think about it the madder I'm getting and at this point I'm getting pretty close to calling them and telling them to forget it.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2014 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:00 PM

BUMP!

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:00 PM
2 moms liked this
Its possible your MIL is the one who has the problem with it. They may have just told her about the arrangement and she got in a snit or is trying to cause trouble. Why else would she say something like that rather than keep it to herself if she wasn't trying to stir the pot?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Beggers are being pretty choosey.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:02 PM
I don't blame you, I'd be ticked too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:04 PM
6 moms liked this

I say stick to your original plans.  They may need the discomfort as added motivation to move out in the agreed timeframe.

AlwaysKISA
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:04 PM
That's what I was thinking.

Quoting quickbooksworm: Its possible your MIL is the one who has the problem with it. They may have just told her about the arrangement and she got in a snit or is trying to cause trouble. Why else would she say something like that rather than keep it to herself if she wasn't trying to stir the pot?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:04 PM
This. But I understand. I am very private and a family home is sacred. So if I opened my home to someone this way I would be beyond offended to hear complaints.

Quoting quickbooksworm: Its possible your MIL is the one who has the problem with it. They may have just told her about the arrangement and she got in a snit or is trying to cause trouble. Why else would she say something like that rather than keep it to herself if she wasn't trying to stir the pot?
Caidysmom
by MindyM on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:06 PM
They have a roof over their children's heads, they should be grateful !
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:08 PM

OMG I would be so grateful to you. Its an awesome thing your doing. Its only for a couple of months they will survive and it may encourage them to work hard on getting their own place and keeping it.

MommyAddie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:09 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm certain one room and a private bathroom is a lot nicer than a shelter in the middle of February. It's certainly not your fault they didn't pay their rent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)