Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Loaning money.... *update*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

... to family.  I'm a single mother and every penny counts.  My mother knows this, having been a single parent herself.  However, she seems to think it's ok to ask to borrow money from me.  Normally, I wouldn't care, but I just hit some financial hardships in my life.  Also, there is the fact that she owes me hundreds of dollars that I know she'll never pay me back.

She just asked to borrow more money.  Right now, I do have the ammount she is asking for, but I really don't want to give it to her.  Not only do I know that it's highly unlikely she'll actually pay me back, but it's also the only money I'm going to see for a few weeks (until next payday).

What should I do?

*UPDATE*

I told her no.  I said that right now, things are tight and I just can't afford it.  As I suspected, she called me an ungrateful b*tch and said never to ask her for anything ever again.  I don't ask her for anything besides maybe someone to talk to every so often.  For at least a week or two, I'll be ignored while she's mad at me.  I hate it when she does this.  Last time she asked to borrow money from me, she said it was for her medications.  I found out it was for drugs, but of the illegal sort.  Pretty sure she was looking for money for the same reason.  I'm disappointed and hurt, but I'll get over it.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amybelle
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:42 PM

just say NO

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:43 PM
She'll live without it.
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Boundaries!  Just say no. 

liltampa71
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:43 PM

It's not extra money, it's living money.  Tell her you don't have it to loan, which is true, you don't have EXTRA money to loan.

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:44 PM
Repeat after me:

"No."
ShellLea
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Tell her you don't have it. Never loan money you can't afford to not get back. 

J.M.O.
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:44 PM
I learned to say no a long time ago & not feel guilty about it. It works for me.
FlutterbyMom3
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:45 PM

So tell her you don't have it. It's not like you're lying, you have it but you can use it for something you need. Just because you have a little bit of money, doesn't mean it needs to be spent or given away. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:45 PM
Just tell her you don't have it, I had to do this to a friend a few years ago, she would pay me back but took forever doing it, just kept saying no anytime she asked. She doesnt ask anymore. Terrible but at the same time what happens if you need that money for something and you've lent it to her? Things always come up, at least in my world they do lol.
suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Don't do it. 

I never lend money, to anyone. My fil asked for a loan last week. I told him I would give it to him as a gift, but not loan it. It was for a medical procedure. He was a bit annoyed, but that is how I roll.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)