Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We're finally getting our own place and I'm supposed to be grateful *UPDATE

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

We live in an apartment right now and our lease is up in two months. Apparently when dh's uncle died a few months ago he left DH his home. I knew nothing about this, but dh had talked to his uncle about it before he passed away. I've never been there, but I know it's a shit hole. DH says we can make it our own, and fix it up and sell it if we want. I'm supposed to be grateful? I'm moving my two kids to a shit hole, but it's my shit hole so I should be kissing DH's feet. I'm having a hard time with this.

*pics on page 5

*UPDATE

So my husband and I talked about it and I got all the details. The land does not belong to us and the land rental is $75 per month. He says it does have electric and plumbing and a shared well with others in the area. Selling it in that are, which is what I want to do, we could probably get $200-$300.00 for it. He wants me to give it a chance, my concern is that if we have it for three months, and then sell it for 200 bucks we've already lost money on it. DH says we don't have to pay lot rent for 2 months, so he has two months to "fix it up" to my standards or we sell it. I don't even like this deal we've made because we are going to lose every penny he puts in to it in the next two months but he is really upset that I am "looking a gift horse in the mouth". He's going to go there over the weekend and get pictures of the inside for me. I said I want pictures before I know if I'm willing to go look at it in person. The bus was left to DH's cousin, but he's refusing to pick it up and doesn't want it so I'm going to sell it to a junk yard and pocket the cash since it looks like we're going to lose all kinds of money over the next two months. I'm phoning my landlord and going on a month to month lease so we have time to find a place or renew this one when our lease is up because there is no way DH can fix that pile of shit.

-Kitschy

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:02 PM
Replies (21-30):
Cassidysmom611
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be grateful. We live in apt now and would love a house, even a fixer upper.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Totally agree

Quoting Diamepphyre:

SMH.  Yes, you should be grateful.  Some people actually have to pay money for "shit holes" and then still pay to fix them up.  Your DH is right; you can move in and make this one your own using the money you're not having to pay in rent or a mortgage. 

Good grief.  The best things happen to the most ungrateful people. 

marie85
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:08 PM

I'd be grateful for a free house. I'd get myself a loan and do some updates if I needed to.

onaflowers
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:09 PM
I am laughing so hard.

Quoting -_-:

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:09 PM

OK well go take a look at it. Maybe it has potential. But if it is a complete shithole I would not move there either. I would sell the place.

Quoting Anonymous:

We can go whenever we want, dh has already been down there. It's near to where he works.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Can you go take a look at it anytime soon?

preemiemom45
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:10 PM
You sound snobby and unreasonable to me. Who wouldn't want property for free? If you can't or won't love in it, sell it or rent it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think it's possible to make it not a shithole. I feel like we got stuck with a liability. Dh thinks I'm being snobby and unreasonable.

Quoting kiddycat73: Can you compromise and stay in your apartment until the house is fixed up and no longer a shithole?

ilovecandy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:10 PM

you are getting a free house....that you can fix up and do anything you want with, anything in the world. i would be excited and greatful. if the bones are good, youre fine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:10 PM
What's wrong with it ?

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think it's possible to make it not a shithole. I feel like we got stuck with a liability. Dh thinks I'm being snobby and unreasonable.

Quoting kiddycat73: Can you compromise and stay in your apartment until the house is fixed up and no longer a shithole?

Grnyann65
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Maybe you're overreacting. If you haven't seen it, you don't know how much of a shit hole it is. I'd check on that before moving my babies into it though. No running water, faulty wiring, being able to see outside through the walls or floors....I'd stay where I was at until major repairs have taken place. Maybe it just needs cleaned, and painted.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:10 PM
I'll take it off your hands if you dislike having a house that you can make into whatever you want. That right there is my dream house. I want a fixer upper sooo bad I can taste it. So much better than an apt. any day of the week.

Someone did give you a gift and for that you should be grateful that they wanted to help your family even if it isn't what you want.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN