Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We're finally getting our own place and I'm supposed to be grateful *UPDATE

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

We live in an apartment right now and our lease is up in two months. Apparently when dh's uncle died a few months ago he left DH his home. I knew nothing about this, but dh had talked to his uncle about it before he passed away. I've never been there, but I know it's a shit hole. DH says we can make it our own, and fix it up and sell it if we want. I'm supposed to be grateful? I'm moving my two kids to a shit hole, but it's my shit hole so I should be kissing DH's feet. I'm having a hard time with this.

*pics on page 5

*UPDATE

So my husband and I talked about it and I got all the details. The land does not belong to us and the land rental is $75 per month. He says it does have electric and plumbing and a shared well with others in the area. Selling it in that are, which is what I want to do, we could probably get $200-$300.00 for it. He wants me to give it a chance, my concern is that if we have it for three months, and then sell it for 200 bucks we've already lost money on it. DH says we don't have to pay lot rent for 2 months, so he has two months to "fix it up" to my standards or we sell it. I don't even like this deal we've made because we are going to lose every penny he puts in to it in the next two months but he is really upset that I am "looking a gift horse in the mouth". He's going to go there over the weekend and get pictures of the inside for me. I said I want pictures before I know if I'm willing to go look at it in person. The bus was left to DH's cousin, but he's refusing to pick it up and doesn't want it so I'm going to sell it to a junk yard and pocket the cash since it looks like we're going to lose all kinds of money over the next two months. I'm phoning my landlord and going on a month to month lease so we have time to find a place or renew this one when our lease is up because there is no way DH can fix that pile of shit.

-Kitschy

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:02 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Seriously this guy came to our wedding in a school bus. He bought an old school bus and turned it in to an RV, which means he took out all the seats and put an air mattress in it. He was so proud he didn't need to get a hotel. He was a weirdo. Dear god I hope we didn't inherit the school bus too.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

OK well go take a look at it. Maybe it has potential. But if it is a complete shithole I would not move there either. I would sell the place.

Quoting Anonymous:

We can go whenever we want, dh has already been down there. It's near to where he works.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Can you go take a look at it anytime soon?

anotherhalf
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:11 PM
Is it in a bad neighborhood?
Howardx5
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Quoting onaflowers: Why do you have to move there while you fix it up? You sound seriously ungrateful.
Miss.MandyLynn
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Idk depends what you think a shithole is and what its really like.. id say a free home is a nice gift and you should be grateful but if you don't want to live there maybe you guys could see it and buy something else or put it as a down payment?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:12 PM

No one would buy that thing, and I doubt we could legally rent it out. We were given a pile of junk to dispose of in my opinion. It will probably cost us money to fix it up and sell it for less than it cost to fix it.

Quoting preemiemom45: You sound snobby and unreasonable to me. Who wouldn't want property for free? If you can't or won't love in it, sell it or rent it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think it's possible to make it not a shithole. I feel like we got stuck with a liability. Dh thinks I'm being snobby and unreasonable.

Quoting kiddycat73: Can you compromise and stay in your apartment until the house is fixed up and no longer a shithole?

askmommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:12 PM
Wait until you see it to complain. It may be something you can fix up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:13 PM
Is it basically a shack? I wouldn't want to live in a shit hole house either. I'd rather stay in an apartment.

Some houses really are too crappy to repair. Can you knock it down?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:13 PM

It's a huge fucking gross trailer park, from the picture DH sent me. I've never been there.

Quoting anotherhalf: Is it in a bad neighborhood?

TexanMomOf6
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I suggest you carefully go through the house and research the value of the 'shit' you find in it. There have been many old odd people have collections that have been found to be worth thousands.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:14 PM

I think it's a trailer with wood put around it. I don't think we even own the land. We'd probably have to pay to get rid of it.

Quoting Anonymous: Is it basically a shack? I wouldn't want to live in a shit hole house either. I'd rather stay in an apartment.

Some houses really are too crappy to repair. Can you knock it down?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)