Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ETA. the licey kids arent sent home any more!! UPdate on tea tree oil search

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My oldest dd is friends with the licey kids. If I'd known this was the crowd she'd hook on to when we moved here two years ago, we would have Never Moved Back. Eight times this school year alone. WTF is wrong with these people?!? The school nurse knows where it's coming from but has already told me her hands are tied she has to allow them to keep coming. I'm spending bukus of cash to treat hair and house and I'm sick of it. They should be forced to remove ALL their kids from school till they are all lice free for two weeks.

Edit to Add... Look y'all, I am not going to go to a person that has already been told several times by the school nurse she and her family has lice and offer to treat her house and hair. They KNOW they have lice, they CHOOSE to do nothing about it. It is not wrong to want your child to stay away from another child that constantly has head lice. I have never been rude to this kid and I'm not trying to "outcast" her. I just don't want her lice coming home and becoming our lice AGAIN!

Update on Tea Tree Oil Search.....
I looked for that all over town today. Not a single store had it. Small town. :-/ But I got lucky at the local IGA where I always shop! Sometimes you can talk to the manager for "specialty ideas" and he agreed to look and see if he can order some on his next shipment that comes in Thursday!!
And my sister had a blow dryer to loan me long term! Hoorah!

Thanks for all the helpful home remedy ideas and tips, a lot I'd never heard of! I'll have plenty to pass around now.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2014 at 12:56 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 10, 2014 at 2:43 AM
That is ridiculous. Social stigma?! Wow. Disgusting.

Quoting stacy8606: I know- we were just talking about this at school the other day- they are no longer sending home kids that they are finding lice on because of the social stigma attached. Personally I think that stinks!
JulietAngel89
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 2:49 AM

I remember trying to tell my mum that my head was itchy and that I thought I had lice. She just told me I use very good shampoo and my scalp was sensitive. It took my actually finding lice in my own hair and showing her to prove I had lice. I was in primary school. When I lived with my sister I was staying in the room with my 2 nieces. My poor sister tried so many things to get rid of the lice. We ended up using gasoline. Never had lice since then.. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 10, 2014 at 2:50 AM
My daughter go it once from school and she couldn't come back till it was gone .
okpondlady
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 3:03 AM

That is what I had to do when I had a Girl Scout Troop that had a family that continually had lice.  After the first time I had them I started using Tea Tree Oil in the shampoo and we never had it again.  I got it at Wal Mart in the pharmacy department. It only takes a few drops, make sure you shake it up real well.

caligirl7613
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 3:04 AM
you have to be kidding me???? they dont send em home anymore? when ui was a kid we got sent home right away, and had to wait 48 hours before attempting to return, and we had to get cleared by the nurse before returning to class. i have a parent teacher conference scheduled for wednesday, while im there im going to ask if this is the policy at my childs school as well.....i hope not!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caligirl7613
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 3:07 AM
my step cousins got lice from school, their grandma (BMS mother) used freaking turpentine on their heads....and it burned their scalps so bad my aunt (their SM) had to take them to the dr

Quoting JulietAngel89:

I remember trying to tell my mum that my head was itchy and that I thought I had lice. She just told me I use very good shampoo and my scalp was sensitive. It took my actually finding lice in my own hair and showing her to prove I had lice. I was in primary school. When I lived with my sister I was staying in the room with my 2 nieces. My poor sister tried so many things to get rid of the lice. We ended up using gasoline. Never had lice since then.. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 10, 2014 at 3:07 AM
Look for home remedies
Mrs.Pedro
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 3:14 AM
We weren't sent home as kids when I was in school either... That was elementary, sooo like 20 years ago going by the last time I caught it. They just sent a note home with the kids that the nurse saw had them during the routine checks. If there was an outbreak they would do the checks a bit more frequently, but that's it as far as I know.

Really it doesn't help much to send them home once they're found to have them... The eggs and bugs are easily spread and most likely they've already passed them on.

I still think it's shitty to send your kid to school if you aren't completely sure you've gotten rid of them. Their parents should be treatin them and checking then for the following weeks afterwards to be sure they're gone even if they don't keep them out of school the whole time.
Yurixsi
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 3:14 AM
[quote name="JulietAngel89" id="0"]

[/quote

MY MOM USED KEROSIN IT ALSO WORKED.
MommyAddie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:23 AM
It blows my mind that they don't make the kids go home. Lice went around my twins' school once and they brought it home, of course, and we began a nightmare weekend of treatments and cleaning. The kids and I did 3 treatments a peice over at my mom's while dh did laundry and sanitation duty at our house. I ended the weekend with a 6 hour mayo treatment and I straightened our hair with the chi.

We actually got rid of them in one weekend (which I hear is pretty lucky- and was horribly expensive.) I STILL kept the kids home that Monday and Tuesday just to make sure we wouldn't pass it back around. I also told the school if the nurse sees anything on my kids, they need to call me to come get them. I just can't believe they let it get passed around the way they do.

When I was a kid, if you had lice you went home and couldn't come back until the school nurse ok'd you. Maybe that's how I avoided getting lice until my 30's.

Quoting Anonymous: According to the school nurse and she showd me the paperwork, lice isnt considered a health issue anymore so its not considered a "mandated issue to report" anymore.

Quoting Supervane: Shouldn't they be reporting frequent lice infestations...? As it could be a sign of neglect or unsanitary living conditions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)