Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ETA. the licey kids arent sent home any more!! UPdate on tea tree oil search

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My oldest dd is friends with the licey kids. If I'd known this was the crowd she'd hook on to when we moved here two years ago, we would have Never Moved Back. Eight times this school year alone. WTF is wrong with these people?!? The school nurse knows where it's coming from but has already told me her hands are tied she has to allow them to keep coming. I'm spending bukus of cash to treat hair and house and I'm sick of it. They should be forced to remove ALL their kids from school till they are all lice free for two weeks.

Edit to Add... Look y'all, I am not going to go to a person that has already been told several times by the school nurse she and her family has lice and offer to treat her house and hair. They KNOW they have lice, they CHOOSE to do nothing about it. It is not wrong to want your child to stay away from another child that constantly has head lice. I have never been rude to this kid and I'm not trying to "outcast" her. I just don't want her lice coming home and becoming our lice AGAIN!

Update on Tea Tree Oil Search.....
I looked for that all over town today. Not a single store had it. Small town. :-/ But I got lucky at the local IGA where I always shop! Sometimes you can talk to the manager for "specialty ideas" and he agreed to look and see if he can order some on his next shipment that comes in Thursday!!
And my sister had a blow dryer to loan me long term! Hoorah!

Thanks for all the helpful home remedy ideas and tips, a lot I'd never heard of! I'll have plenty to pass around now.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2014 at 12:56 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:33 AM
3 moms liked this
Actually if you look on the CDC website- it clearly states that lice do not like dirty hair. They only will attach to clean hair. So there is nothing to report.

Quoting Supervane: Shouldn't they be reporting frequent lice infestations...? As it could be a sign of neglect or unsanitary living conditions.
mommytoacloud
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:37 AM
Lice are pretty bad but be glad bedbugs arent spreading in the school those things are damn near inpossible to get rid of we finaly ggot rid of ours with a pretty ingenious trap
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:51 AM
This has been my life for the past 3 days. My dd came home with them Friday! I freaked out! No way- nt in my house!
She has long think curly hair- and very clean. Apparently that is the perfect home for lice.
I got right up sat her in a chair and ran to the store( no bra no undies) I was in freak mode.
My husband started gathering all her clothes and bedding- everyone's hats and gloves, coats- all of it. Bagged it up and threw it outside to freeze overnight.
I got a rid treatment- her and I got I the shower and do the treatment, then I checked my dh and ds. Luckily she was the only one who had it. I also bought rosemary shampoo and detangler after her treatment we did that and she went to bed. The rest of the family is doing the rosemary treatment for as long as she has it.
Next day we did a borox shampoo ( does to lice what salt does to snails) then she spent hours under a shampoo cap. Later we did a cetaphil wash ( whoch is what the doctors office will reccomend) Then we did and apple cider vinegar rinse and comb thru( supposed to unstick the eggs and their glue), then off to bed. We haven't allowed her to sit in any furniture, ( I feel so mean- but oh we'll)
After freezing all the laundry it goes straight into hot water wash with borox- then high heat dryer .
Then Sunday I flat ironed her hair and used hairspray to dirty it up some- then spent two hours going thru every section to scrap off eggs. Luckily I see no more bugs- I only Saw eggs- and removed everything I saw.
Today I will keep her home from school and do another cetaphil wash and apple cider vinegar comb thru and I will not pick again.
I may try lister one too ( haven't heard of that one before)
I think she's good now- but she will stay home bc even though I emailed her teacher- the class had not been notified yet- so they still may be lingering at school. I don't need more of this.
Reality is it can happen to anyone at anytime- but chances are the cleaner they are the better the chances.
From now one se will always have hairspray or gel in her hair- they can't attach to the strands if it has product in it.

Quoting MommyAddie: It blows my mind that they don't make the kids go home. Lice went around my twins' school once and they brought it home, of course, and we began a nightmare weekend of treatments and cleaning. The kids and I did 3 treatments a peice over at my mom's while dh did laundry and sanitation duty at our house. I ended the weekend with a 6 hour mayo treatment and I straightened our hair with the chi.

We actually got rid of them in one weekend (which I hear is pretty lucky- and was horribly expensive.) I STILL kept the kids home that Monday and Tuesday just to make sure we wouldn't pass it back around. I also told the school if the nurse sees anything on my kids, they need to call me to come get them. I just can't believe they let it get passed around the way they do.

When I was a kid, if you had lice you went home and couldn't come back until the school nurse ok'd you. Maybe that's how I avoided getting lice until my 30's.

Quoting Anonymous: According to the school nurse and she showd me the paperwork, lice isnt considered a health issue anymore so its not considered a "mandated issue to report" anymore.

Quoting Supervane: Shouldn't they be reporting frequent lice infestations...? As it could be a sign of neglect or unsanitary living conditions.
MorganTho
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:53 AM
Walmart has it.

Quoting Anonymous: I have never heard of this tea tree oil.

Quoting -_-: Put tea tree oil in your kid's shampoo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Corkie-
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:05 AM
Tea tree oil, even a few drops in a water bottle and spray every morning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto3infl
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:07 AM

CDC changed the policy for schools on Lice last year, and say it is social stigma.  I understand how you feel, but nothing many of us can do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Forbid your kid from playing with this kid and maybe the parents will get there child proper treatment . I would not allow that shit to keep reinfesting my child . I would also go to the school and demand my child be moved if they sit hear each other 

Quoting Anonymous: It does. I try not to carry on about this kid because I feel it drives her closer to her but Dang it, enough is enough! And thats the exact thing the School Nurse told me about the social stigma to it.

Quoting stacy8606: I know- we were just talking about this at school the other day- they are no longer sending home kids that they are finding lice on because of the social stigma attached. Personally I think that stinks!

-spork2.0-
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Lice love clean hair. And they are more partial to hair with certain shaft shapes. Some people are just destined to get them repeatedly due to that

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:22 AM
Try mayonnaise I know it sounds gross but it works.
-spork2.0-
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:24 AM
My kids school has a policy that hair cannot be touching your shoulders.. it must be up and off the shoulders.. Basically to keep any lice anyone may have from going kid to kid.

Quoting caligirl7613: you have to be kidding me???? they dont send em home anymore? when ui was a kid we got sent home right away, and had to wait 48 hours before attempting to return, and we had to get cleared by the nurse before returning to class. i have a parent teacher conference scheduled for wednesday, while im there im going to ask if this is the policy at my childs school as well.....i hope not!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN