Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ETA. the licey kids arent sent home any more!! UPdate on tea tree oil search

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My oldest dd is friends with the licey kids. If I'd known this was the crowd she'd hook on to when we moved here two years ago, we would have Never Moved Back. Eight times this school year alone. WTF is wrong with these people?!? The school nurse knows where it's coming from but has already told me her hands are tied she has to allow them to keep coming. I'm spending bukus of cash to treat hair and house and I'm sick of it. They should be forced to remove ALL their kids from school till they are all lice free for two weeks.

Edit to Add... Look y'all, I am not going to go to a person that has already been told several times by the school nurse she and her family has lice and offer to treat her house and hair. They KNOW they have lice, they CHOOSE to do nothing about it. It is not wrong to want your child to stay away from another child that constantly has head lice. I have never been rude to this kid and I'm not trying to "outcast" her. I just don't want her lice coming home and becoming our lice AGAIN!

Update on Tea Tree Oil Search.....
I looked for that all over town today. Not a single store had it. Small town. :-/ But I got lucky at the local IGA where I always shop! Sometimes you can talk to the manager for "specialty ideas" and he agreed to look and see if he can order some on his next shipment that comes in Thursday!!
And my sister had a blow dryer to loan me long term! Hoorah!

Thanks for all the helpful home remedy ideas and tips, a lot I'd never heard of! I'll have plenty to pass around now.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2014 at 12:56 AM
Replies (431-437):
Brycensmommy85
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Oh bite me. I had lice as a kid and my mom did her job and effectively got rid of them. If a family continually gets lice and spreads it that is a problem. It is considered animal abuse to let fleas on your dog but ok for kids covered in lice to spread it to everyone? Come on. I know it happens but if you do your job it will not keeping coming back.

Quoting olleo: Having lice sucks but it's not a CPS issue for Pete's sake. All it takes to catch it is to sit too close to somebody that has it. That can happen to even perfect parents like you.

Quoting Brycensmommy85:

Gross. I would freak out if that happened, I'd probably call CPS on the family that is disgusting and wrong.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Feb. 16, 2014 at 9:56 AM
Cps will do a well check and if things look okay in the house they won't do anything. Its not like they're going to pick through the kids heads.

Quoting Brycensmommy85:

Ummm not uneducated about lice dear....I caught it in 5th grade and my mom followed all the directions on the shampoos, combed our hair and so on. She also washed EVERYTHING she could on the hot cycle and everything she could not wash she bagged in garbage bags and put them in the garage for 6 weeks. She also bug bombed rooms we frequented. Our family never had it again, my classmate however had it 4 times BECAUSE all her mom did was wash her hair.....that is not enough! You can get rid of them easily if you do the work. CPS should do something if it is such a big problem with a family, it is considered animal abuse to allow fleas on your animals but not lice on kids?

Quoting Anonymous: Lol! Cps won't do anything. I knew a family of 6 who delt with it for a year until they could totally get rid of it. You miss one egg, just one and you're screwed. And then they would pick it up again from another kid and the cycle would repeat itself! Its not an easy thing to get rid of if you have multiple children

And it doesn't mean you are a neglectful parent. I worked in a preschool for years and felt so badly for well off families who were treated like assholes because of people who are uneducated about lice.

Quoting Brycensmommy85:

Gross. I would freak out if that happened, I'd probably call CPS on the family that is disgusting and wrong.

olleo
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 2:03 PM
I had it as a kid too, a couple of times and it sucks. Even now I freak out if my head itches. It's hard to get rid of. Miss one nit and it starts over and if they catch it at school, it's even harder to get rid of because every single parent has to get every single bug out of every single kids head at the same time or the cycle starts over. That doesn't mean parents are allowing their kids to keep it. So I repeat, not a CPS issue. Just a sucky fact of life.

Quoting Brycensmommy85:

Oh bite me. I had lice as a kid and my mom did her job and effectively got rid of them. If a family continually gets lice and spreads it that is a problem. It is considered animal abuse to let fleas on your dog but ok for kids covered in lice to spread it to everyone? Come on. I know it happens but if you do your job it will not keeping coming back.

Quoting olleo: Having lice sucks but it's not a CPS issue for Pete's sake. All it takes to catch it is to sit too close to somebody that has it. That can happen to even perfect parents like you.

Quoting Brycensmommy85:

lesabella
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 6:56 PM
We've had a bad lice issue throughout our large school district this winter and there was a write up in the newspaper about how the policy is changed and now its "just a social issue". I disagree as well!! Its disgusting!!! And I keep my child and house CLEAN and now I can't wash her hair more than once a week and keep hairspray in it and tea tree oil, all for deterants. And I'm always suspicious of anything I see in her hair! Poor kid doesn't even like me to touch her head anymore!

Quoting kittield:

When did the recomendation change, my mom retired 2 years ago and they were still sending kids home in her district up to that point.  And I disagree. They can be harmful, they suck blood and could transfer blood from one child to another, while it isnt likely it is still an issue.

Quoting lesabella: Back in "the day" if you had lice your butt was sent home. Now the AAPediatrics says its ok because it doesn't actually HURT the kids!!! Bunch of BS! So no they dont/cant send em home anymore.

Quoting kittield:

Not sure where you are, but that sounds wrong to me.  My mom used to be a school nurse and the ALWAYS sent them home and didnt let them return until they were lice free.  Sounds like you need to have a talk with the principle.  It just doesnt seem far or right that you should have to be worried about this when you are doing what you need to do to treat the lice on your end.

4x4mamma
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:04 PM
I know at our school, we are called as soon as they find anything when they do their checks and they are not allowed back until they are gone. Meaning- you treat and bring them back to have it verified by school personal.
MissusCleaver
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:04 PM
LISTERINE!!!!!
sarahmargaret24
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:13 PM

A hair dresser reccommended this when my hair was dry they also have a conditioner. I have no idea if you can find it local (I think the site has a where to buy link) I'm in Canada I was at first choice hair cutters. I'm sure it would work for lice as well.

http://paulmitchell.com/en-us/Products/TeaTree/TeaTreeSpecial/Pages/TeaTreeSpecialShampoo.aspx

Quoting Anonymous: My oldest dd is friends with the licey kids. If I'd known this was the crowd she'd hook on to when we moved here two years ago, we would have Never Moved Back. Eight times this school year alone. WTF is wrong with these people?!? The school nurse knows where it's coming from but has already told me her hands are tied she has to allow them to keep coming. I'm spending bukus of cash to treat hair and house and I'm sick of it. They should be forced to remove ALL their kids from school till they are all lice free for two weeks. Edit to Add... Look y'all, I am not going to go to a person that has already been told several times by the school nurse she and her family has lice and offer to treat her house and hair. They KNOW they have lice, they CHOOSE to do nothing about it. It is not wrong to want your child to stay away from another child that constantly has head lice. I have never been rude to this kid and I'm not trying to "outcast" her. I just don't want her lice coming home and becoming our lice AGAIN! Update on Tea Tree Oil Search..... I looked for that all over town today. Not a single store had it. Small town. :-/ But I got lucky at the local IGA where I always shop! Sometimes you can talk to the manager for "specialty ideas" and he agreed to look and see if he can order some on his next shipment that comes in Thursday!! And my sister had a blow dryer to loan me long term! Hoorah! Thanks for all the helpful home remedy ideas and tips, a lot I'd never heard of! I'll have plenty to pass around now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)