Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

what will be the repercussions for us?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

So, we sold my old car to one of BIL's friends. Yesterday he came to buy it I couldnt find the key (even though it was where it was supposed to be and staring me in the face, literally.) So he said he'd come back later. He came back while I was at work (we'd found the key pretty much right after he left.) So when I get home I notice it's gone... but when I come inside the Bill of Sales I'd printed and signed (since it was in my name) were still on the table? 

And when I asked DH why, he said, "He was still waiting on his check, so he gave us half and when he comes back, I have to remember to take the (expired) plates off of it."

SO WTF man?! you let some 18yo kid just take our expired and uninsured vehicle without giving him a bill of sale or taking the plates off? how could you be so dumb. 

What will happen to us if he is picked up driving an extremely illegal vehicle that is still in our name? the stickers (registrations and inspection) are so old it's OBVIOUS it's out of date too.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dalbax2
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:29 AM
I would report it as stolen.
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:32 AM

If anything happens, I'm pretty sure you would be responsible.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Quoting dalbax2: I would report it as stolen.

okay, Um... I REALLY dont want to ruin a young man's life because my DH is an idiot.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:34 AM

No good.

dalbax2
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:34 AM
Then I guess you will suffer the consequences if there are any.

Quoting Anonymous:

okay, Um... I REALLY dont want to ruin a young man's life because my DH is an idiot.

Rebecca7708
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:36 AM
You most likely will be held responsible. He should not have been allowed to take the car at all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:36 AM

I caught your other snarky reply... so you think my only options are a) ruin this kid's life by giving him a criminal record.  or b) suck it up and deal

I can think of a dozen other options... Im trying to get a hold of BIL to get the kids phone number right now so I can call him

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:37 AM
If he's lucky he'll get a fix it ticket. If he's not lucky he could go to jail and the car impounded. So your car would be impounded.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Quoting Rebecca7708: You most likely will be held responsible. He should not have been allowed to take the car at all.

no kidding, I wanted to slap DH. Ugh... Im waiting for BIL to get back to me so I can get the kid's number. I dont mind so much about him only giving us half. Its DH not having the paperwork done and taking the plates off before letting him have it.

dalbax2
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:38 AM
It wasnt snarky.....it was the simple truth. Sorry you dont see it that way. You asked what might happen.

Quoting Anonymous:

I caught your other snarky reply... so you think my only options are a) ruin this kid's life by giving him a criminal record.  or b) suck it up and deal

I can think of a dozen other options... Im trying to get a hold of BIL to get the kids phone number right now so I can call him

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN