Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Id rather be on PA than work. It makes more sense $

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 92 Replies
1 mom liked this
Ive seen all the "we were better off on PA because my tax return was 3x as much" posts. And I do get it that sometimes if you make a $1 more a day it may throw you over the income guidelines and the $30 more a month dont cover all the benefits you loose. BUT what I dont get is the ones who didnt work and now do. Do you not realize that you are working your social security number? That you wont be this young forever so working your social is a good thing? And if your employer offers a 401k plan you are better off working than not? I mean you can't keep having kids forever. Or that silly little thing called pride that you cant put a price on. What about that?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:04 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Am I the only one who does not comprehend what the OP is talking about?

Why put money into a shitty 401K, when you KNOW you won't be at that job forever- for instance, I was a manager at Victoria's Secret. I made salary. I KNEW I wasn't going to stay there forever- it was a temporary job I happened to love and embrace while I was in college. WHY would I put money into a 401K I'd NEVER see?

MANY young people that work are having to put money into SS. They will NEVER EVER see that money, the way the economy is going. WHY 'invest' your money in that nonesense vs. getting a CD or an IRA? Or, put it in a savings account that gets more than .0001% interest for every X amount you put into it??

codfish
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:05 PM
3 moms liked this
Sadly pride in being able to take care of one's family isn't so common these days.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this
If you leave your job you can take your 401k with you, cant you? Like cant you roll it over? DH received a check a few years back from some firm that was for a 401k account he had when he just started working and he had forgotten all about it because he only worked there for about a year. IDK, im not a banker or an investor, but we have had CDs before. Small ones. I once had one for $1k @ 12 months so it didnt earn much interest.
But I guess my point is if youre on PA you cant even do that. Arent you limited to hiw much money you can have in a bank account? Like why would anyone want to live that way forever?

Quoting Anonymous:

Why put money into a shitty 401K, when you KNOW you won't be at that job forever- for instance, I was a manager at Victoria's Secret. I made salary. I KNEW I wasn't going to stay there forever- it was a temporary job I happened to love and embrace while I was in college. WHY would I put money into a 401K I'd NEVER see?

MANY young people that work are having to put money into SS. They will NEVER EVER see that money, the way the economy is going. WHY 'invest' your money in that nonesense vs. getting a CD or an IRA? Or, put it in a savings account that gets more than .0001% interest for every X amount you put into it??

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:15 PM
How sad.

Quoting codfish: Sadly pride in being able to take care of one's family isn't so common these days.
Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this
People with that mentality need to be lined up against a wall and shot.
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:17 PM
8 moms liked this
One of the things I've learned on Cafemom is that if a woman doesn't want to work, she'll have an ENDLESS list of reasons, rationalizations and excuses as to why she can't, can't, can't. I've honestly never seen so many helpless women in my life. Nothing you said in your OP is going to resonate with the group of women you're talking about. They simply do not want to work and they'll fight until the bloody death to ALL have some unique situation that makes it impossible to do anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RedMatador09
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you. I prefer to know I can retire and live a nice life.
mjmorrison
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:21 PM
6 moms liked this

by law all 401k's are fully transferable to another retirement account.

Quoting Anonymous:

Bubbie0809
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:23 PM

I've always worked, I don't know anything else. 

I don't begrudge those who don't. But for me, working was a given. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)