Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Americans are fat because of our work ethic!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 52 Replies
3 moms liked this
Hear me out before you roll your eyes and totally disregard my argument. You opened this post so you have to at least give me a moment to explain my argument.

Out of all the countries in the world we are pretty close to the bottom when it comes to vacation time and hours per week worked. We are expected to work 40+ hours a week along with running a household that, in most homes, also includes children. We just simply don't have enough hours in the day to get everything done and that usually means taking shortcuts, like prepacked meals. Like fast food. Its much easier to open that box of Mac and cheese than it is to make it from scratch, noodles included. Its a lot easier to whip in the drive through and pick up dinner for the kids than it is to listen to them whine while you're trying to cook and help them with homework.

It then trickles down, those kids grow up and probably don't know how to really cook besides the fact that they grew up eating prepackaged meals and its like second nature to continue eating what mom and dad fed you as a kid.

*disclaimer
I think there are many causes of obesity in America, not just overworked adults who don't have time to cook.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:20 PM

I was hoping this was what your post was about when I read the title. 

FelineTopic
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Mmmmmm....

Mac and cheese....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiniowien
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:23 PM

I'll keep my Mac and cheese, it's gluten free 

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Yep part of it for sure. It definitely trickles into healthy living
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:24 PM
I had to go a different route than the tried and true government assistance argument.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was hoping this was what your post was about when I read the title. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:26 PM
BUMP
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:29 PM
I think its because of fast food and yes convince .but also because you drive everywhere here .im from europe and we walk everywhere
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:34 PM
It's also 'the bigger is better' mentality. Everything we eat has to be super sized. The portions sizes are so much bigger here than in most other first world countries. Restaurants give us 3x more than we need in one meal.
tlcory
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:38 PM

I agree along with many of us grew up having to eat everything on our plate because "there are starving kids in Africa",  we weren't allowed to stop eating when we felt full, if we stopped we got 2nd helpings. 

leksismommy
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:41 PM
Very true, in most European countries folks get 4-5 weeks paid vacation a year. No matter what your job is, fast food, trash guy, or a doctor.
Also in some countries women get 2 YEARS maternity leave with 70% of her salary being paid to her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)