Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How strict is your household?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

We do what ever it takes for our children to realize we are in command, so far so good. I know parents that have stripped rooms, taken clothing, electronics and also refused their kids food if they did not adhere to the rules. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:33 PM

I'm strict.  When my son acts up, privelleges go away one at a time.  When he's good, he earns them back one at a time.

Yes, I have ended up stripping his room bare.  I have sent him to bed without dinner.  (But I do calculate how long ago he last ate, what he ate, and when he'll eat again.  I've also been known to serve plain oatmeal.)  This is mostly because he's one of those that will try to out-stubborn.  Nothing dangerous or abusive, but I won't back down before him.  I'll find creative ways not back down while at the same time meeting his basic needs.

So far, so good.  He's pushed and tested, and decided it isn't worth it.  I hate to think of the teen years, but I'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:35 PM
3 moms liked this

Not at all. Our home is a democracy, not a dictatorship. The only reason I would flat-out forbid something is safety. Everything else is up for debate.

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:35 PM
2 moms liked this
i never had to do things to feel in command. rules are for wellness, happiness safety...
inspain
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:36 PM

I insist on good manners and little or no slang (pet peeve) but, I don't consider myself strict at all.  

Odd, because I've been told by a few moms that they feel I'm very strict.  But their kids were wild animals.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:37 PM
I am strict. I expect my children to do what I tell them. They are to do there very best in school. I will not be talked back to. I don't allow them to run around the neighborhood or watch tv all day. They have chores and a bed time. If they do not follow the rules there are consequences, we don't hit our children and since they know what is expected we rarely have to punish them.
bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:38 PM
We require respect. Disrespect is never tolerated. Other than that, we're not too strict.
momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
We're on the strict side without going to an extreme. I think the worst disservice you can do to your kid's is be their pals and turn your home into a democracy. We're not a democracy here, we're a gentle, loving dictatorship. DH and I make the rules we think are best and that's that. My kids have enough friends, they need parents to guide them and give them a clear path.
belindah
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Dh and I are strict.  We have noticed that with most of our children's friends we seem to be the strictest parents.  We have also noticed that we do not have a lot of issues, that other parents are having.  Our children are 11, 9, 8 and 7, and at 9 at night we know where are children are. More then once we have a parent knocking on our door around that time trying to find their child, because they do not know where their child is.

GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this
This.

My goal isn't to dominate and control my child. He is a person with his own thoughts and emotions.

Quoting Sister_Someone:

Not at all. Our home is a democracy, not a dictatorship. The only reason I would flat-out forbid something is safety. Everything else is up for debate.

tinybluemoon
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:41 PM

I'm not strict as long as you follow my rules, I don't have a lot. But you break them and I am your worst nightmare.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN