Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

4 year old with a binky *update*

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 3:33 AM
  • 283 Replies
2 moms liked this
My youngest DD is going to be 4 in April and still uses a binky at night and during the day when she's sick. She was a preemie and is the size of 2 year old so I don't get a lot of flack for it.

This my confession

I want to thank all you ladies for being kind and also those who offered different ways to get her off the binky.
Last Friday we had a goodbye binky party and threw them all away. The first two nights she asked for it at bedtime and I just told her they were gone. She whined a little, no tears though. I'm proud to say she has been binky free for 4 days and holding strong.
Again thank you all.
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 3:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KaylinC03
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 3:34 AM
Hmm. Well, everyone parents differently so if that works for you then go for it. :)
deboramomof2
by 💋sweetcandy💋 on Feb. 12, 2014 at 3:35 AM
1 mom liked this
My 3 year old still has his binky ...been trying to get him off but he is a real fighter ...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 12, 2014 at 3:38 AM
33 moms liked this
Should have been stopped a LONG time ago. Being a preemie has nothing to do with this.
RachelBy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 3:38 AM
Our daughter quit on her own around 1 1/2 which was great until she needed an MRI and couldn't eat or drink since she had to be put under and naturally the hospital was 3 hours away.. fun ride lol I tried to give her a pacifier and she wouldn't take it, now I am glad though. One bad day with her not taking it was worth not having to convince her to re-quit!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 12, 2014 at 3:39 AM
I'm curious how small she looks. My son uses one at night too, he's two. I want to wean him, but they really help him sleep and hate to take it away. As long as they are clean and regularly replaced so its not full of bacteria i see no issue. I wouldn't let it go on too much longer or it could stunt her verbally, but not always.
notjustamomee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 3:43 AM
Yeah I was hoping she would give it up on her own, but that hasn't happened yet. I have five kids and none of them wanted a binky except her. She is also the youngest and my last.

Quoting RachelBy: Our daughter quit on her own around 1 1/2 which was great until she needed an MRI and couldn't eat or drink since she had to be put under and naturally the hospital was 3 hours away.. fun ride lol I tried to give her a pacifier and she wouldn't take it, now I am glad though. One bad day with her not taking it was worth not having to convince her to re-quit!
P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 3:43 AM
Ok
turtlesquish23
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 3:45 AM
I was 4 when I tossed mine for the last time lol
notjustamomee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 3:52 AM
She's in the 25th percentile for height and not even on the chart at 22lbs for weight. She wears size 12-18 mo. clothing. Although physically small, she is on target mentally and talks very well. I usually only let her have them at bedtime, but if she's sick I tend to cave. I know bad mommy..lol

Quoting Anonymous: I'm curious how small she looks. My son uses one at night too, he's two. I want to wean him, but they really help him sleep and hate to take it away. As long as they are clean and regularly replaced so its not full of bacteria i see no issue. I wouldn't let it go on too much longer or it could stunt her verbally, but not always.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 12, 2014 at 3:53 AM
Weening of the binky is so hard. Someone told me to poke a hole in the end and make it a little bigger every few days until they lose desire. I haven't tried this yet, natural weening age is two.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN