Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What would you do if your teen was taking selfies with homeless people?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:25 AM
  • 118 Replies

‘Selfies With Homeless People’ Are Latest Shameful Teen Trend

by Ericka Sóuter

homelessI came across a story that forces me to ask, "What the HELL is wrong with teenagers?" It makes me sound ancient, I know. But you will be floored too once you hear the details. Apparently there is a new, sick trend among them. Teens are "like totally" into taking selfies with homeless people. Yea. You read that right. It's the coolest thing since tweeting half-naked pics of yourself.

According to the New York Daily News, hundreds of teens across the country have uploaded shots of themselves with these poor, unfortunate souls. They are shown smiling, laughing, even doing the pout face next to a homeless person. Why? To impress their friends, of course.

It's not just a question of common sense. We all know that teens make dumb choices every day (driving while texting, tattooing Justin Bieber's name on their bodies, idolizing Teen Mom, using vodka-soaked tampons to get drunk quicker -- yes, that really happens). But this latest affront is about having some common decency.

They clearly have no respect for other people. It's as though they are making fun, using them in some sort of gag reel. For the life of me, I don't understand why THIS is cool. Don't they feel bad for this person? Doesn't a tiny part of them feel guilty for posing with these people in this way -- then using their $400 smartphones to upload it to the web before hopping into their nice, warm cars?

Honestly, I blame us parents. If a child has no empathy for homeless people, it's our fault, not theirs. From a young age, they should be taught to empathize with the less fortunate. I know that can be hard to do in this world of excess everything, but look at the result when that lesson is not taught. Instead of snapping that pic of the man in the tattered clothes and living in a box, why not buy him a meal. Sit down with him, talk to him. Now that would be something worth tweeting about.

What would you do if your teen was taking selfies with homeless people?

by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:27 AM
22 moms liked this
My teen would not have a phone and get a job feeding the homeless or else
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:28 AM
8 moms liked this
Let them spend a week homeless and see if they thought it was so funny afterward. Then, they would work in a soup kitchen until they were 18.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:29 AM
3 moms liked this

Her phone would be taken from  her and the service turned off. And yes I go through her Phone/FB all the time

Taylorzoe
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:51 AM
2 moms liked this
Just no.
I couldn't imagine how sad that is and these poor people getting maybe a dollar to do this. It's awful. My son would be stripped to nessisities and spending his time not in school volunteering at the homeless shelter.
MaskedMomma
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Oh hell no
OrangeBalloon
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I would be pissed off and shocked if my kid did that. Dd is very sensitive and has a lot of empathy for other people and things. Just the other day she was kicking my butt playing board game, and she felt bad for me. She even said, "Next time I will let you win Mommy." LOL. 

Anyway, if my kid was dumb enough to do something like that, I would make her do tons of volunteer work at our local soup kitchen. I would also take her fun away for a looooong time. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I don't know, I chuckled. I would tell my teen to knock it off but not do much more than that.

mojogirl
by RoseannRoseannadanna on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:55 AM
5 moms liked this

the phone would be in a million pieces and she'd be spooning soup at the homeless shelter for every foreseeable weekend

lulumomof2
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Well I would feel that somehow I failed as a parent, that I didn't teach them to have empthay for others. Then their phone would be GONE! Next they would be working at a homeless shelter/soup kitchen every weekend for quite a while!

Dobermans are like Potato chips, nobody can have just one!

aj_mom
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

They would get their phone taken away, grounded, and have to work at a homeless shelter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN