Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you take this cat to the no-kill shelter?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 5:51 PM
  • 106 Replies

Poll

Question: Take her to the no-kill shelter?

Options:

yes

no

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 88

View Results

Our next door neighbor has an outdoor cat.  It's out all day no matter the weather and all night.  It's let in the house maybe an hour a day. 

This winter has been pretty brutal and it's not letting up anytime soon.  We're getting between 8-10 inches tomorrow almost for sure, again which isn't very common.

So this cat is probably 5-6 years old, a female.  It screams on their porch all day.  It screams to come it because she is freezing, you can see her shaking. We can hear her at night when we're going to sleep crying out there.  I brought her in my house a few times when it got really bad out but she doesn't like our kids or animals.  We put blankets out for her etc.  Basically everything you can think of.  I have called animal control and asked them to come get her and they said no.

I want to literally take her in, they would take her no problem as a stray.  The problem is she is a fully black cat and statistics show that black cats are less likely to be adopted.  I just can't stand seeing her so cold.

I can not take her because of my animals.  If you are near Charlottesville Va and want her I will bring her to you.

by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 5:52 PM

People love black cats so I dont know where you found that, but I would take her in.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2014 at 5:54 PM
mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 5:55 PM
My cat is constantly getting out in the cold :( she runs out every time we open the door...
nolongermstkn
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Op is right, black cats are the least likely to be adopted.

Quoting thenameshailie:

People love black cats so I dont know where you found that, but I would take her in.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Quoting thenameshailie:

According to a UC Berkeley study, black cats are unfairly stereotyped and far less likely than their fair-haired, blue-eyed cousins to be adopted at animal shelters.

court_1989
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 5:59 PM
I would adopt her if you were close to me
Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 5:59 PM

I wouldn't mind that but this cat literally screams at the owners door in pain.  It's all night long and all day long.  They won't let her in when they are not there and they both work full time.

Quoting mrsrodgers0703: My cat is constantly getting out in the cold :( she runs out every time we open the door...

littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 5:59 PM

I have always owned black cats and they are the best, but people are so ignorant about superstitions.    I would most likely take her in myself. All of my cats have been strays.  Your neighbor should be charged with animal abuse.  Also, the poor thing may eventually freeze to death.  I truly hate animal owners like that

Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Please tell me you are near Charlottesville Va?

Her name is Spice and she is super sweet.

Quoting court_1989: I would adopt her if you were close to me

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2014 at 6:00 PM

You don't happen to live in Virginia do you?  Is so the law is if you have been fedding a cat for 30 days it is considered your cat.  Use that law as you like.  

I would say take the cat in for the day if you see the cat is still out and just put it anywhere you can for the day where it won't cause conflict with your pets and kids, even if that is a bathroom.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)