Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Inappropriate internet searches....wwyd?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:04 AM
  • 29 Replies

I'm shocked and at a loss right now. Yesterday ds, 5, came home from school talking about a game his friend was telling him about.....grand threft auto. Something that we don't, and probably won't ever, allow in our house. Well tonight I found bing searches in his ipad history for the words 'sex' and 'ays'. What. The. F. We monitor his ipad usage and use parental controls, but obviously my eyes can't be glued to his screen the entire time he uses it. Obviously the ipad is gone, at least for now. But seriously, he's FIVE! I want to talk to the teacher.....but what do I say? With 24 kids, she can't monitor their conversations every second of the day, but this is seriously inappropriate. After hearing about this game this kid was talking about, I really do think it came from friends or that friend at school. We're very careful about what the kids see and hear inside the home. How do I discuss this with the teacher? And what do I say to ds tomorrow????? He's sleeping right now.....and I'm totally not prepared for a sex chat with my FIVE year old :/ Help!

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:07 AM
Bump
katyusha42
by Metal Kitty on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:09 AM
I started discussing sex with my children as soon as they seemed curious. I kept all conversations age appropriate of course but it wasn't a subject I shied from. Keeping communication open early on helps keep it open later on IMO.
crescentstar2
by expecto patronum on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:09 AM
My oldest was looking up inappropriate things and it turns out his friend showed him a site that had games. The games looked like normal kid games but had adult names. Like naught sexy nurse but it was a game where you had to pass out items to people like the old taps game. He had no clue the meaning of the title. Maybe it's something like that
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:10 AM
This has nothing to do with his teacher.

hautemama83
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:11 AM
You have to confront him. Mine came home talking about sex, rather detailed too. Hes also 5, and we know where it came from...a little boy who also taught him the n word. Ugh. I was just very matter of fact, and pretty much told him hes too young for "sex" and its not something he needs to be concerned with yet. That was that. He dropped it, and hasn't spoken about any of it since. I did talk to his teacher, but only to give her a heads up.
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Quoting katyusha42: I started discussing sex with my children as soon as they seemed curious. I kept all conversations age appropriate of course but it wasn't a subject I shied from. Keeping communication open early on helps keep it open later on IMO.

How would you approach this subject....looking things up online? I don't want to embarrass and upset him....but I have no idea what to say.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:12 AM

you don't say anything to anyone but your child, and you simply reinforce that that's not language you use in your house and if he has questions he is free to come talk to you for an explanation.  I think you can come up with an age appropriate reason why "sex" isn't something he should be trying to find on the internet.  I also hope you have your parental controls set up.  he shouldn't be able to stumble across something like that even if he was trying to find it.

complaining to a teacher isn't going to do a bit of good - it could have happened anywhere.  he could have been in a special along with another class, or half the school at lunchtime; it might not have even happened under his teacher's supervision. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:12 AM
Some things aren't ok for a 5yo. GTA happens to be one of them. End of talk.

My 13yo wants it. I told him sure, just as soon as he's old enough to buy it for himself, he can have it. I'm not buying it. He dropped it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:12 AM

why can't you have the sex chat with your 5 year old in age appropriate terms?  He is obviously curious now so you need to be open and honest.  There are lots of books for his age about it.  

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Quoting Anonymous: This has nothing to do with his teacher.

Don't you think she should have a heads up about what the kids might be discussing? I'm not at all saying its her fault, I just think she should probably be aware.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)