Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do i get visitation???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 49 Replies
last year i got in a bit of trouble with the law. my kids were sent to live with my parents. (we live far away from each other) this was agreeable to all parties so they didnt wind up in foster care long term (they were there long enough for my parents to get here and collect them basically, about 2 months) its been right at a year since i have seen them, in person. i cant leave the state for another 3 years due to probation terms. however, when i was in jail CPS offered to set up visitation in the paperwork and we all declined having it formally drawn up (in court) saying we would work visits out between us. in the end, when it comes to the kids, my parents have ultimate say so of when i regain custody. it was drawn up that way to AVOID court and a custody battle. i mean who expects to have those problems with their parents anyway....so now i mentioned to my mom i have been saving money to have the kids come visit me for a few weeks this summer. she flipped saying absolutely not, that i couldnt see them and i was lucky she allowed me to call them. and that if i wanted to see them i better hire my own GD lawyer and be prepared to lose cuz they have alot more money than me (true). she knows ive been working hard to maintian and get back on my feet, i do send CS, though that isnt court ordered ( cps wanted to have me pay CS, my parents convinced them not to court order it) but i do send money every pay day onto a green dot money card i sent them. i know i messed up, ive worked hard to correct my mistakes and now im terrified i will never get them home, much less a visit. i really cant afford to hire a lawyer and they know this. i know alot of you will bash me and say i dont deserve even phone calls but honestly you cant bring me lower than i have been brought already. im just hopeful someone will have an idea of how i go about at least getting some visitation at this point. and just because ppl will ask, i didnt go to jail for drug, abuse or neglect of my kids, my crime was money related.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maliksmama2
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Even though you don't want a lawyer, you need one. First step

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:07 AM
its nit that i dont want one, i really cant afford one....i have about a thousand in savings which was going to be used for the plane tickets (i know i would need more but thats what i have so far) i dont think 1000 would get me very far with a lwyer....

Quoting maliksmama2:

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Legal Aid

Quoting Anonymous: its nit that i dont want one, i really cant afford one....i have about a thousand in savings which was going to be used for the plane tickets (i know i would need more but thats what i have so far) i dont think 1000 would get me very far with a lwyer....

Quoting maliksmama2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:10 AM
Do you have any universities near you? If so, see if they have a law clinic. I know they do here and in other states. They usually operate on a pro bono basis. Im sorry you are going through this, imagine sorry your children are in the middle of this as well. No bashing here. ((Hugs))
stephy87
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:10 AM
100$ can or less can get you a consultation with a lawyer. They'll give you some ideas, suggestions, answers and give you a quote. Try it out. You'll be surprised at how hard you'll fight if you really want to. I had ZERO money and left my abuser but found a way to get 5,000$ to get us through court. Work your ass off.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:11 AM
You've only been able to save up $1000 in a year? For your kids? That's pathetic.

Quoting Anonymous: its nit that i dont want one, i really cant afford one....i have about a thousand in savings which was going to be used for the plane tickets (i know i would need more but thats what i have so far) i dont think 1000 would get me very far with a lwyer....

Quoting maliksmama2:

BelleVernonGirl
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:11 AM

So your crime was not a violent offence so why would your parents not let you see your kids....that's just crazy

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:12 AM
legal aid...ok. i also thought about contacting the cps caseworker we had and see if she has any advice. but idk if she could help in any way

Quoting OneToughMami: Legal Aid

Quoting maliksmama2:

bellawomen
by Summer on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:12 AM

I think your parents royally screwed you over.  I highly suggest you go to CPS and see if there is anything they can do to help you.  Otherwise, the courts seem to be the only way to force anything.  Although you may need to check the laws to see if you have to file where you live or the children live.  I would consider speaking with some lawyers to see if someone is willing to take your case pro bono.  Since it is the beginning of the year, you might have a good chance since many lawyers limit themselves to how many pro bono cases they take each year.

I am not quite sure I understand why the children were put into foster care because of a money-related criminal offense.  Did you some how put the children in danger?  How old are your children?  Where is their father(s)?

Siare
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:12 AM

In my state, Legal Aid only works with domestic violence victims. =X

Quoting OneToughMami: Legal Aid

Quoting maliksmama2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)