Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you would abort for DS

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:30 AM
  • 62 Replies

Would you for CP? MD? What if ASD, ADHD, ODD could me detected before birth, would you then? What about DS make it an abort-able disorder? Do you know anything about it? Do you know that in a lot of cases the child can live a mostly normal life?

My cousin is 29. He lives in an apartment above his brothers garage. He has a job. He can drive, it's very limited, but he can. He has a girlfriend. My other cousin, his brother, takes him on trips. He has been to Vegas, snowboarding in Utah, multiple times to different beaches. He is happy. He lives a great life.

I can't understand why people think DS people are different than other sn people and don't deserve a chance. He was born with a hole in his heart. His first 7 years were rough, sure, but he has lived such a great life and inspires my whole family. His is our sunshine.

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
reaandiziesmama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:31 AM
2 moms liked this

Can't imagine life without him.

angelenia
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:34 AM
I was raped and molested by a poorly supervised DS uncle. You bet your ass i would have terminated .
suzanneyea
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I think if I were to have an abortion, I would not discuss my motives on a message board. Only with my husband.

NatesMyBoy
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:37 AM

I don't disagree they are great people.  Maybe the couple can not fathom the long term care?  IDK.   The only DS person I know well is my best friends sister, she has a good life, because like your aunt and uncle her mother does the work everyday that has allowed her to grow to have independence, pretty good health and a full and fulfilling life.  For every child born to that kind of family, there are many more born to the opposite.  I'm not saying they should have been aborted (that is a private thing for the pregnant couple) I'm just saying they are not all so lucky.  Which I suppose is quite the same for all children... ds or not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:37 AM
So you judge the entire ds population off of one?

Quoting angelenia: I was raped and molested by a poorly supervised DS uncle. You bet your ass i would have terminated .
pregnantmama105
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:38 AM
If it wad just for ds... no I wouldntb terminate.
Ashley1113
by Ashlashbash on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't abort for any SN. My brothers are both autistic, and while I wanna beat them sometimes, I do still love them.
angelenia
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:39 AM
And he wasn't the only one to put his hands on me inappropriately. A babysitter when i was ten wouldn't keep her DS child from cornering me and putting his hands all over me. He was 20' and i tried to make peace with my past by joining junior civitan in highschool. The first dance i attended the DS boy slipped his hand up my shirt
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:39 AM
1 mom liked this
One of my best friends growing up was DS, but Id probably still abort if I was preg with a DS baby, and possibly for some, if not all of the other mentioned birth defects or illnesses
angelenia
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:40 AM
Keep reading.

Quoting Anonymous: So you judge the entire ds population off of one?

Quoting angelenia: I was raped and molested by a poorly supervised DS uncle. You bet your ass i would have terminated .
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)