Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No "zero" grades? What do you think of this school's decision?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:36 AM
  • 178 Replies

Schools Are Wimps When It Comes to Giving Kids Failing Grades

by Ericka Sóuter

gradeI am all for coddling our little kids a bit. I mean, who wants their pre-teen to know about all the horrors this world has to offer. There should be some innocence, some wonder (if the Internet hasn't already killed it). But some people take the over-protective thing too far. A middle school in Lake County, Florida has banned teachers from giving out the grade "zero" because it is "overly negative to the student." They don't want the kids feeling bad about it. But shouldn't they?

Now, it's been a few decades since I was in junior high. But if memory serves me correctly, a kid is scoring a zero on an assignment didn't even try. If that's the case, shouldn't they know and understand they did a bad job and that they need to try harder the next time?

Not giving him/her a zero accomplishes one thing: it teaches them that there are no consequences -- or at least not ones that they need to worry about. One of the best lessons we can teach our kids is to work hard in school. It is the only way they can carve out a future for themselves. Hell, you even need a college degree to get a job at some McDonald's in this country. Bottom line is, education is important. So they need to respect the notion of working hard in school from the start. 

In their defense, a rep for the school said, "There's definitely consequences. More importantly, it teaches kids we want them to succeed, we want them to do well."

Not buying it. You teach a kid that you want them to succeed by giving them the tools to do just that. Letting them off easy is not a lesson that will help. Yes, we should worry about their feelings -- but not for this. How does sparing them a grade of zero when they deserve it prepare them for the real world? That's not to say we can't cut them some slack in other areas. They don't have to be the fastest runner or always score a touchdown (at least I don't think so). But they should always, always, always feel they have to work hard in school. A zero is clear proof that they didn't.

What do you think of this "zero" ban?

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:38 AM
13 moms liked this

I think we are letting our kids run the show and by doing so sadly setting them up to be failures in life who will be irresponsible.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:41 AM
8 moms liked this
If my kid earns a zero then he needs to be given the zero. He didn't do the work so therefore he shouldn't be given a grade that would reflect otherwise.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:43 AM
12 moms liked this

It's a terrible idea - but a logical consequence of no scores in t ball, "everyone must be invited" birthday parties, telling kids they're beautiful when they're not, and a host of other things.  Learning to fail is an important lesson - failing when they didn't even try is even more important.

imyourPuppy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:44 AM
3 moms liked this
You should get what you earned. End of story.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:45 AM

When I was in school, teachers could not grade below a 55 or INC (Incomplete).  As a result of my insolence, the school changed its policy and allowed accurate grading....I was the first student to get a zero in my district.  I graduated in 1990.  So the, "No Zero", policy is very old.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't get this. 0 means nothing was done. If a kid turns in a blank test, what exactly is the teacher supposed to do?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:47 AM
7 moms liked this
Awwww, look. It's a school just for special snowflakes. How cute.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

It's true.  I remember reading something about the woman who invited spanks I think whose parents asked her every day what she failed at that day and that helped her become a success.  

And seriously what right does the school have to say who we do and don't invite to a birthday party that isn't even on school property or during school hours.  They can have that policy and I will ignore it.  

Quoting Not_A_Native:

It's a terrible idea - but a logical consequence of no scores in t ball, "everyone must be invited" birthday parties, telling kids they're beautiful when they're not, and a host of other things.  Learning to fail is an important lesson - failing when they didn't even try is even more important.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:52 AM

My my kids school they have real grades start in Kindergarten. They keep score at the games and the coaches even yell at the kids. Guess what if a child wants to bring invitations for a birthday party to school they have to invite the entire class. We have a school directory so they can mail out the invites from home if they don't want to invite everyone.  Learning to fail is important and has nothing to do with being kind to others.lol

Quoting Not_A_Native:

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:01 AM
2 moms liked this

WTF?!?

Oh FFS!!!

Just stupid and a HUGE disservice to the kids. 

How the fuck are they supposed to learn to improve and do better??? How are they supposed to learn how to handle and overcome FAILURE???? 

Just .... STUPID. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN