Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am so sick and I don't know if I can do this

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 69 Replies

First off, I'm agoraphobic. No I don't stay in the house and never leave, but I have a very hard time going places that aren't normal for me. It's an extreme social anxiety. To the point where I have been throwing up for 4 days now and I've lost weight because I have to go to my daughters school today.

Today is my daughters medieval fair. Parents were asked to bring period food to have this fair. So I wrote a note saying that unfortunately I could not make the fair but my daughter would be bringing the fruit that was asked for.

I got a note back on monday that said any kids whos parents couldn't be there would under no circumstances be allowed to be participate.

What? Are tou kidding me? People have lives, they have jobs, they have other issues.

So, I told my daughter I would be there. I can't force her to not participate.

But I have been a mess since monday. I haven't slept, eaten, haven't even been able to concentrate or do anything.

All because I have to do this.

I hate this. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:39 AM

b

bethpelle
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:40 AM
That doesn't make sense. Why would she not be allowed to participate? I am so sorry you have to deal with such crippling anxiety but cheers to you for doing what is right for your daughter.
Could you maybe pull her teacher aside or write her an email after the fair and explain the situation?
chickadees
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:42 AM
3 moms liked this

You need to get help.  Your life is flying by....think of all the beautiful moments you are missing.  Pick up the phone and make the call...if not for your sake then for your daughter.  Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:42 AM
I feel ya. I have that problem but mine sort of comes and gos on how severe it is.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:43 AM

It doesn't make sense to me either.

My only guess is that in past years they've done this and no parents have shown up, leaving just the kids. But I don't understand why that would be a big deal. I was going to send food. Hell I would have catered the whole thing if it meant not having to be there.

After the fair I suppose it won't matter much anyway. 

I feel really bad for all the kids whos parents work. 

Quoting bethpelle: That doesn't make sense. Why would she not be allowed to participate? I am so sorry you have to deal with such crippling anxiety but cheers to you for doing what is right for your daughter.
Could you maybe pull her teacher aside or write her an email after the fair and explain the situation?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Well obviously I do have a therapist. Thats how I was diagnosed.

I have many great experiences in my life. My kids have great lives. Thats not what this is about. 

You need to get help.  Your life is flying by....think of all the beautiful moments you are missing.  Pick up the phone and make the call...if not for your sake then for your daughter.  Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:46 AM

That makes no sense to me either.  It's just your situation, yes a lot of parents work and get limited time off.  I'd be inclined to call the school that day and just say your daugther is sick if that is what they are going to do.  Or they could be pregnant and on bed rest or have other medial issues.    I think that's ridiculous to exclude kids because their parents can't or even don't want to be there.  

chickadees
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Why is that obvious?  As for experiences...say what you want, but not as many as you could have.  I still wish you luck.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well obviously I do have a therapist. Thats how I was diagnosed.

I have many great experiences in my life. My kids have great lives. Thats not what this is about. 

mom2the.rescue
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:47 AM

You should force yourself to help at her school a few times a week.  After just a few weeks, you'll be able to do anything there.  It will feel like a second home to you.  You'll be happy when you're there.  You'll still get anxious the morning of, but it will be nothing like what you've been going through.  You will be happy you did it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:48 AM
I'm not the op, but have a similar disorder, and even with treatment, it doesn't just go away. She doesn't need you to remind her of what she's missing, I'm pretty sure she knows that without you pointing it out.

Quoting chickadees:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)