Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

toddlers and tablets

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
Would you buy your 3 year old a cheap android tablet? I'm not talking one of those kid friendly ones, but a regular one for a kid who's pretty destructive of other toys? Just curious as to what you all think.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzanneyea
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Not if he is destructive. My toddler has a leapfrog he loves.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM

No not if they are destructive with stuff. My son got one at an early age and so did my daughter but they were calm kids and in their whole 10 & 5 years of life haven't broken a single toy or anything else for that matter. Now my 14 month old is CRAZY he will not be getting anything for a very very very long time lol. He has managed to damage just about ALL my furniture in short life that has been through two other kids without so much as a scratch lol. Soo yea. I have no issue with the tablet I have issue with buying expensive toys for kids that will just break them and will have no respect for them.

JaeMommy07
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:20 PM

No.

JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:21 PM
My DS (now 3-1/2) has had an iPad for over a year. Get a Griffon Survivor case for it. It is military grade - or toddler proof. It can take splashes and drops well! Tablet j side is still perfect.

The iPad has tons of good educational apps. He has a speech delay and it has been huge in helping home learn. He knows his alphabet, upper, lower and all sounds and words for each letter, all his shapes and colors and is really rocking the learning side!

And you can eat meals out in peace!! We love his iPad!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:22 PM
If he is destructive he gets nothing. Teach him to respect the toys he has instead of buying new ones.
LovlyRita
by Meter Maid on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:23 PM
No. Most games require reading and most toddlers can't read. If I am buying it for TV, then I would just buy a portable DVD player.
JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:23 PM
This is the case: http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-GB35108-Survivor-Extreme-duty-Generation/dp/B007XOQ3BQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392405760&sr=8-1&keywords=Griffin+survivor+iPad

Bomb proof!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Nope.

I let my 3 year old play on mine sometimes though. I got a few educational apps on there she likes. . .and she loves that bubble cat game. 

JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:25 PM
There are many awesome apps for toddlers that teach letters, spelling, math, etc and are easy for toddlers to do on their own. It's amazing what is out there now.

Quoting LovlyRita: No. Most games require reading and most toddlers can't read. If I am buying it for TV, then I would just buy a portable DVD player.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Briangel
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:25 PM
Not sure if we would. We have an iPad that the kids play with all the time (1 & 4 yrs). They just know it's daddy's and we taught them how to treat it. So they play with it when it's "relax" time. And our kids are pretty destructive. If you teach them right away not to leave it on the floor, no stepping on it, throwing it...the list goes on & on. But ultimately we prob would. My 4 yr old's been playing our iPad since 2 and it's still in great condition.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)