Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

battle buddy committed suicide this week- very sensitive topic. Memorial Day bump and edit

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

THIS is what Memorial Day is about, in reference to another post. Remember THEM. Don't thank US, the living. Today is not about our service and sacrifice. Today is about remembering our brothers and sisters in arms who no longer have in our formations. 

PV2 Johnathan Alan Atkinson
U.S. Army 
Battery B, 3/319th, 1st BCT, 82nd Abn. Div.

Dec. 23, 1991 - Feb. 12, 2014

"One of my son's friends passed the message to me about this album and I wanted to send you a picture of my son and tell you a little story about his character.Ê My story starts off in 2004 while I carried my son to Robinson Health Clinic to get a physical for football. When we were returning home he saw all the new barracks going up along Gruber road and asked me is that where he was going to live one day. I said to him, you might if you join the military and go airborne. I asked him was he going to join and he said yes. I asked him what job did he want to have and he said probably 11B. I told him you know soldiers are walking the streets of Baghdad and getting hit by IEDs and I don't know if you want to do that. He told me without hesitation "if everyone thought like that then no one would do it". My son, 12 years old said that. This was even after I was hit by a VBIED in 2003 and he watched me and seen what I had to endure during my recovery. Needless to say when he graduated high school he joined the Army, not as an 11B but as a 13B. He went to airborne school and was stationed at Ft Bragg, deployed once to Afghanistan, Ghazni District in 2012.

We went to BCT together and stayed in close touch through the last 3 years. He never let anyone know he was in pain. He was one of the BEST soldiers I have ever met- stone faced and professional paratrooper. He had a baby that JUST learned how to crawl- like two weeks ago. He posted last Sunday a bunch of pictures of his son's "weekend with Daddy" and his step mom and a couple othr people posted that they loved hearing from him, telling them how much he loved him- until 11 pm Sunday night.

the next thing on his FB was a call for prayer at 0530 Monday morning from his family.

He spent one last weekend with his son. True to his nature, he stayed stone faced and emotionless. He didn't reach out and tell ANYONE what he was thinking. Nothing. He was always SO happy and the class clown. He never said anything negative- nothing. He never talked about his emotions, so this came as a HUGE surprise to everyone. Hundreds of people are mourning his death. He tried to commit suicide, but someone found him. At the hospital, he had no brain activity and was taken off life support two nights ago. 

This is absolutely devastating. 

PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE take what people say seriously. ASK QUESTIONS if something someone says sounds 'off'. PLEASE!!! 

1-800-273-8255 Please please PLEASE call them if you even *think* you may want/need/have to talk. Even if you don't want to talk to anyone, but deep down, you know you should. Concerned FRIENDS and FAMILIES can also call. Call/Text/Online Chat. Please share this link. 'One more" is way too many to lose. 

Rest in love, soldier. I'll see you at final formation. 

The funeral was yesterday and was just as impossible as I was expecting. I went with two other people that went to BCT with me and it was amazing to have eachother to support during the funeral and 6 collective hours of driving to and from. 

Please continue (or start) to pray for the Atkinson family, especially his father. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShannaBee
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:21 PM
I am sorry for your loss.
Ninjascreenname
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:22 PM
Omg. I am so sorry for your loss. *hugs*
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Please pray for his family. He was only 22 and leaves behind a very very young lady who had his son and he was the love of her life. 

Quoting Ninjascreenname: Omg. I am so sorry for your loss. *hugs*

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:24 PM
I'm sorry for your loss
Ninjascreenname
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:25 PM
I'm going to pray for all of you. :'(

My husband is a disabled vet with depression problems. This is a constant worry in my life. I am so sorry because I know this isn't a hurt that will go away quickly. :(

Quoting Anonymous:

Please pray for his family. He was only 22 and leaves behind a very very young lady who had his son and he was the love of her life. 

dmj1574
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:25 PM
(((Hugs)))
Freela
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:25 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss.  So tragic.  And good advice to give to reach out to people if something doesn't seem right.  I have a history of depression and made a sucide attempt when I was 18.  I'm very thankful for everyone who helped me to to be here today.  ((HUGS)), and again, so sorry.

JackieGirl007
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:28 PM

I'm sorry:(

Seeing this kind of stuff makes me SO angry. There's no reason for our troops to be at war, but that's a whole other topic. I hope his family and you, find peace mama.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:36 PM
He called and said his goodbyes and no one knew what he was doing until after. His family is tearing themselves apart because they didn't know.
I'm happy you weren't successful! I wish everyone could see that there is a great life past the pain!

Quoting Freela:

I'm so sorry for your loss.  So tragic.  And good advice to give to reach out to people if something doesn't seem right.  I have a history of depression and made a sucide attempt when I was 18.  I'm very thankful for everyone who helped me to to be here today.  ((HUGS)), and again, so sorry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:37 PM
Please keep that number. Help is out there for him and you!

Quoting Ninjascreenname: I'm going to pray for all of you. :'(

My husband is a disabled vet with depression problems. This is a constant worry in my life. I am so sorry because I know this isn't a hurt that will go away quickly. :(

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)