Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Many Children Are Injured by Shopping Carts?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies

Every year, more than 20,000 children under 5 go to the emergency room for
an accident involving a shopping cart. About 75% of the injuries are to the
head and neck of the child. Most of the accidents result in the child
falling out of the cart or causing the cart to tip over.

Read More:
http://www.wisegeek.com/how-many-children-are-injured-by-shopping-carts.htm?m

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Maybe those parents should have paid more attention of their kid while they were in the cart. I never took my hands off my kids while they were in the cart. I certainly never walked away from them while they were in them either.

MicheleJM
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:28 PM

I've had my kid almost tip over a shopping cart by trying to stand on the side of it.  I also got a lecture once from a retired fireman because my kid was standing up in a shopping cart.  I thanked him and took my kid out. I'm sure shopping carts cause lots of injuries.

Bluescorpia
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:30 PM
I have never had this problem with my girls. They are 13 & 15 now with no incidents. I always had them with me when I did food shopping when they were little.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:30 PM
I fell out of a cart when I was a kid. I woke up in the hospital. My kids never fell out, thankfully.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe those parents should have paid more attention of their kid while they were in the cart. I never took my hands off my kids while they were in the cart. I certainly never walked away from them while they were in them either.

Oh for goodness sakes it's a stat intended to be a wake-up that some parents need to be more attentive if their children are standing up or trying to stand up in a shopping cart. It was not intended for I'm so wonderful & perfect I can grab groceries off the shelf across the isle and hold onto my kids in the shopping basket at the very same time holier than thou women like you to spout your blather.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:46 PM

I never claimed to be wonderful and perfect. It's common fucking sense to not leave a baby in the cart alone, and to not take your hands off them because hello, accidents do happen. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh for goodness sakes it's a stat intended to be a wake-up that some parents need to be more attentive if their children are standing up or trying to stand up in a shopping cart. It was not intended for I'm so wonderful & perfect I can grab groceries off the shelf across the isle and hold onto my kids in the shopping basket at the very same time holier than thou women like you to spout your blather.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I never claimed to be wonderful and perfect. It's common fucking sense to not leave a baby in the cart alone, and to not take your hands off them because hello, accidents do happen. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Do explain to the cm audience how you can magically pick up a heavy item such as a box of cat litter, a case of water/soda/juice, a 10-20 pound bag of flour, sugar etc. and hold onto your child in the shopping cart at the same time? I don't know about the rest of the audience, but I'm on pins & needles waiting to hear how you can be so multi-talented.

PS

Using common sense while shopping with your children is one thing, blathering like a holier than thou I never make mistakes because I'm such a perfect woman/mother, is another thing entirely.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:09 PM

I love how you're getting all butthurt over my comment. If you don't want opinions, don't post in an open forum. 

I'm not a weak woman, I can lift all of those things with one arm. 

That and... It's fine if you want to take your eyes away and get something but don't be shocked when the baby falls out of the cart and hurts itself. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Do explain to the cm audience how you can magically pick up a heavy item such as a box of cat litter, a case of water/soda/juice, a 10-20 pound bag of flour, sugar etc. and hold onto your child in the shopping cart at the same time? I don't know about the rest of the audience, but I'm on pins & needles waiting to hear how you can be so multi-talented.

PS

Using common sense while shopping with your children is one thing, blathering like a holier than thou I never make mistakes because I'm such a perfect woman/mother, is another thing entirely.

momtimesx4
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Well, I know that I can account for 3 of those injuries.  Little fuckers love to run rampant in the store and right into my grocery cart.  First time I was in shock....second and third, I aimed my cart when I saw them playing running.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:10 PM

If people would learn to be more attentive to their children and buckle them into the carts this would not happen as often as it does. It happened ALL the time when I worked at Wal-mart. I would tell the parents their kids are gonna end up hurt and they would say, oh they are fine.. Next thing you know the kid is on the floor with the cart on top of them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)