Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism: From 1 in10,000 to 1 in 50

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 65 Replies

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
skittleshawk
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:56 PM
Bump
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:06 PM
7 moms liked this

That was simply because they really didn't know much about autism until the late 80s and early 90s and it was rarely diagnosed, people with autism were just called a little off or they were dismissed as feeble minded, not because it didn't happen as much. You could go back three hundred years and say there was no epilepsy because no one was diagnosed with it and that simply wasn't true, there has always been epilepsy and it is shown in records dating back thousands of years, they simply didn't have a name for it and dismissed it as a curse from demonic possession.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:08 PM
Its because autism is highly overrated and over diagosed
KennyPooPoo22
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:09 PM
The same can be said for just about anything.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Did you read the post?

It said diagnostic substitution is not responsible for  the increase.

it also says something I know to be true - that autism is not something that is hidden.  40% of those on the ASD spectrum have an IQ of less that 70 - while I accept they might have been undiagnosed in the 1880's, that would not have been the case in the 1980's.

Generous estimates maintain that about 1/3-1/2 the cases of ASD can be attributed to diagnostic substitution,  better awareness and geographic clustering, etc...the rest is unaccounted for and there are no genetic epidemics.  

Quoting lenashark:

That was simply because they really didn't know much about autism until the late 80s and early 90s and it was rarely diagnosed, people with autism were just called a little off or they were dismissed as feeble minded, not because it didn't happen as much. You could go back three hundred years and say there was no epilepsy because no one was diagnosed with it and that simply wasn't true, there has always been epilepsy and it is shown in records dating back thousands of years, they simply didn't have a name for it and dismissed it as a curse from demonic possession.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:18 PM

yes and no.  Allergies, autoimmune, asthma and ASD are on the rise (although ASD has probably seen the biggest increase and is the most debilitating).  Other thing are not increasing at the same rate at all.  Some have decreased.

Speaking broadly, chronic conditions seem to be on the rise while acute issues are stable or on the decline.  

Quoting KennyPooPoo22: The same can be said for just about anything.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:18 PM
2 moms liked this
This. Hell, in 1850, when this graphic starts, too much sexual desire in women could land them in an asylum.

Mental health practices have become much more knowledgeable since then. Nowadays, "autism" covers such a broad spectrum of symptoms, I'm not suprised more people are falling under the ASD umbrella.

I'm not entirely disagreeing with you, OP; I agree it's probably something in our environment that contributes, but I don't think that's the reason cases have skyrocketed.

I'm a high-functioning autistic adult. My symptoms are mild, but it's all in how my brain processes things. A hundred years ago, I probably would have been called merely "eccentric" rather than "autistic".

Quoting lenashark:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Has anyone not noticed the correlation between GMO's hitting supermarkets and the autism births going up at the same time?

Cmgmqmmom
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:22 PM
5 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

My favorite graph...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:25 PM

When my kids were diagnosed autistic is was a very long, hard diagnostic testing period.  Now adays all they ask is a few questions, observe them for an hour or 2 and bam!  Autistic.    ---  Now I know for some of you ladies this is not the case for your asd kiddos but I know for a lot of families here in our area where we live this is common ASD testing practice of late.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)