Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids get more crap for Valentines day than...

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:27 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

I got for my whole childhood!!!  LOL 

Who stinkin gets their kid an ipad for Valentines day?  My sister in law, thats who!  These people are crazy!   My nieces and nephew get more gifts and presents and toys and shit...  BIG gifts like tablets, cameras, phones, trips to disney big dollar gift cards for every little excuse for a holiday!  

When I was a kid we got a big box of chocolates to SHARE as a family and whatever loot we got from the school valentine party.  That was IT! 

The easter bunny brought some chalk or markers, a small stuffed animal and a chocolate easter bunny. 

At christmas we got ONE gift from santa, ONE gift from our parents and a stocking full of cool little stuff. 

On our birthdays we got ONE gift from our parents and whatever our friends brought to our parties. 

Did you get less stuff than your kids get now?  The other way around?  Which holidays do you do gifts for?

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
slvr115
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:30 PM
We usually got a card with a personal message and a box of candy hearts from my parents. For Easter we got shoes and candy. We made out pretty well on Christmas, though not as much as I see some people here giving.
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:31 PM
My son's birthday is on the 15th so I'll just get him some candy for Vday.
CMcLaws
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:34 PM
I tend to keep holidays exactly like they were for me when I was a kid; Valentine's Day was something small from mom and dad, birthdays were three or four presents from mom and dad, lots of pretty decorations, and a cake of my choice, and Christmas and Easter were over the top. All of our holidays now are more than DH had growing up, but it's what works for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
two4one
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Yeah, my daughter told me that one of her classmated got a computer. I was like, What??? Insane .

Texor
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:35 PM

We do big birthdays because that's a special day for the kid. 

Christmas is usually stuff they need....clothes, school stuff and that's it. 

tntmomof2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:37 PM
I get mine gifts but I don't go that crazy. I go nuts for Xmas. They each got $50 worth of gifts for valentines and I do have a bit more fun for easter but nothing like Xmas. Birthdays are always big.
auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:37 PM

My kids only got candy and a valentine stuffed animal when they were little. Now as adults I still buy them candy but thats it.

Sarahb21
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:39 PM

My kids are getting cards I printed myself and "coupons" to go get a yogurt sundae, go see the lego movie (which we have a gift card for) and 2 "free" hours of Minecraft playing. I say free because they usually have to earn it by doing chores, great behavior, etc. I didn't buy them any candy, but I did make cupcakes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I spent EVERY valentines wrapped up in my grand daddies arms on a boat in the middle of the bayou fishing eating choclate and having the time of my life. Love my Papa too the moon and back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)