Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"everything belongs to me" syndrome.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
I babysit these 2 kids, they are a boy and a girl, both under 10 years old. Every time they come over and I babysit them or they come over to visit they will see something that belongs to my son and say "that belongs to me, my brother/sister, etc." It was a stuffed cow that my son's aunt gave him (they swear it belonged to their youngest sister, whom I don't babysit), a stupid skeleton ring that my son got for his birthday (the sister tried to say it belonged to the brother) and my son's hotwheel cars (we bought him for Christmas) they both tried to say belonged to the brother.

It is so irritating because it is every little thing, every time we turn around. DH and I have discussed giving their mom a 2 week notice to stop watching them, which we will probably end up having to do, but man it just pisses me off. Their oldest sister, who is my age, does this too w/ mine and DH's stuff and she has even went as far as to steal from me because she thought t belonged to her.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Crymsm
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:33 PM
Have you talked to the mom?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:34 PM
Yes and she will correct them (sometimes) but other times she says she will handle it and I don't think she does.

Quoting Crymsm: Have you talked to the mom?
Bleacher-mom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:35 PM
Sounds like its a learned habit. I would either stop watching them or put them in the corner every time they try to pull that. You might also want to check their pockets before they leave.
Mazie0723
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:36 PM
Sounds like a family of thieves.lol
supermom.sv
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:36 PM

I would not tolerate such behavior. Don't let them take anything that belongs to your family. Even if it something that you don't use. 

I would give their mom 2 weeks notice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:45 PM
I do, for the boy at least -- they live down the street so sometimes we see our son's toys in their yard (that went missing in our home a few days prior). He got caught walking out the door with one of my old cellphones once (his Mom apologized and offered to pay me if the phone was damaged -- that was one of the few times).

Quoting Bleacher-mom: Sounds like its a learned habit. I would either stop watching them or put them in the corner every time they try to pull that. You might also want to check their pockets before they leave.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:50 PM
I haven't and I won't start. Its just frustrating. When I first started watching them they didn't do this. It was only a few months ago that they started doing this, and I have been babysitting them since May of 2013.

Quoting supermom.sv:

I would not tolerate such behavior. Don't let them take anything that belongs to your family. Even if it something that you don't use. 

I would give their mom 2 weeks notice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)