Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I just say how hard it is to get OFF of food stamps?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

Man!

They sure make it difficult in my state.  I've been getting benefits since November and this month I made enough money that we don't really need it so I tried to go online and report my changes.. nope, couldn't do it.  Had to contact my case worker (which I couldn't FIND my paperwork on anywhere!) so..

I called the general number in my county and got somebody, gave her my case number and said I wanted to report my changes and that I was now making too much to be on it.  I tried to give her my numbers and she said sorry, that I need to send in my proof of income (yeah, I can understand that if you want to get on it).  The problem is that I provide a service (hair cutting/beautician) and my clients are many and so I don't just have a W2.  So she tells me I need to get a letter from each one saying how much they paid me.  WHAT?!?  I'm not doing that!  

Finally she says, well you can just withdraw from the program.. YES>>> let me do that.  Then she says, here, we'll mail you out a form in which you need to sign and fill out and then we will process it.  Sheesh!  Now, I appreciate the help when I really needed it but honestly, couldn't  they make it a little easier?  I'm STILL not officially off it and it's been 3 weeks and they have added Feb's benefits on now.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kitty8199
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow. They drop you quick here. You update online.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ThisMom128
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Ironic isn't it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:42 PM
When we went to report changes they just told us to wait until our review 4 months later. We ended up stocking up on non perishables and meat for the freezer. It was nice for that but it was a waste of their resources. They kept sending us letters that we needed to spend it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:44 PM
I had the same problem. I'm a hairstylist and when I started making a steady income I wanted to withdraw and it was just as much trouble taking myself off as it was getting on! But I'll admit, though that first month was rough off of them, it felt so freaking good paying cash for my groceries instead of being embarrassed of using that card
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:47 PM
They told us the same thing. So we waited until the review and then a monthish later I got sued for overpayment! Thankfully I was able to prove that I in fact called to report I had went back to work and they told me to wait. After a couple months of paperwork, the case was dropped and I owed nothing. Pretty sure that case worker got fired. Be careful, be very, very careful. That was the worst 3 months of stress I have ever encountered.

Quoting Anonymous: When we went to report changes they just told us to wait until our review 4 months later. We ended up stocking up on non perishables and meat for the freezer. It was nice for that but it was a waste of their resources. They kept sending us letters that we needed to spend it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:52 PM
Well that was in 2012 so if they were going to do that I think they would have already. That sounds terrible though.

Quoting Anonymous: They told us the same thing. So we waited until the review and then a monthish later I got sued for overpayment! Thankfully I was able to prove that I in fact called to report I had went back to work and they told me to wait. After a couple months of paperwork, the case was dropped and I owed nothing. Pretty sure that case worker got fired. Be careful, be very, very careful. That was the worst 3 months of stress I have ever encountered.

Quoting Anonymous: When we went to report changes they just told us to wait until our review 4 months later. We ended up stocking up on non perishables and meat for the freezer. It was nice for that but it was a waste of their resources. They kept sending us letters that we needed to spend it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:53 PM
Well you better hope they get it fixed or you will be paying every penny back.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:10 PM

I'll make sure I don't spend it then.  I had about $300 from the month before.. then they loaded it again.

Quoting Anonymous: They told us the same thing. So we waited until the review and then a monthish later I got sued for overpayment! Thankfully I was able to prove that I in fact called to report I had went back to work and they told me to wait. After a couple months of paperwork, the case was dropped and I owed nothing. Pretty sure that case worker got fired. Be careful, be very, very careful. That was the worst 3 months of stress I have ever encountered.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:11 PM

That was what she was telling me too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)