Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

newborn jaundice?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies
My youngest has an appointment tomorrow to see if she needs to be admitted to the hospital for jaundice.

Her levels at 4 and 1/2 days old were 16.4

Whatvwas your experience?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
other_mother
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:59 PM

They talked about admitting DD when her levels were at 14. It was summer, so I just let her get plenty of sun and kept pushing the breast feeding. They started dropping after 4 days old.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:01 PM
We got admitted. We tried the light at home but it was faster to go to the hospital. He was cleared in 3 days and didn't have to go back. We tried almost 2 weeks to get rid of it at home. He was early and his levels were 17 and slowly crept up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:02 PM
Yeah her doctor refused to allow them to admit her Thursday because since shes breastfeeding it took time to get my milk in (2 days) and she wabted to give the baby a chance ntonfight it off since it apparently normally peaks at 4-5 days old.

Quoting other_mother:

They talked about admitting DD when her levels were at 14. It was summer, so I just let her get plenty of sun and kept pushing the breast feeding. They started dropping after 4 days old.

Alliemad_003
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:03 PM
My oldest got up to 18. The sent a bilibed to our house so we wouldn't have to admit her.

My middle child got up to 16. We just did sunlight and lots of nursing.

My youngest didn't have it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:04 PM
All my others were preemies. 33weekers. So ive never dealt with "normal" newborn stuff and it confuses me.

Quoting Anonymous: We got admitted. We tried the light at home but it was faster to go to the hospital. He was cleared in 3 days and didn't have to go back. We tried almost 2 weeks to get rid of it at home. He was early and his levels were 17 and slowly crept up.
other_mother
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:04 PM

My milk coming in took care of it for DD. Hopefully it works for you as well.

Quoting Anonymous: Yeah her doctor refused to allow them to admit her Thursday because since shes breastfeeding it took time to get my milk in (2 days) and she wabted to give the baby a chance ntonfight it off since it apparently normally peaks at 4-5 days old.

Quoting other_mother:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:05 PM
Im pushung feeding as much as humanly possible. Every 1.5 hours during the day and every 2 at night. Her diapers are INSANE. I went through 22 diapers yesterday haha.

Quoting Alliemad_003: My oldest got up to 18. The sent a bilibed to our house so we wouldn't have to admit her.

My middle child got up to 16. We just did sunlight and lots of nursing.

My youngest didn't have it.
bellydancer1984
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:06 PM

a lot of babies are born with jaundice i don't think at 4 they would hospitalize her but i guess it would depend on the specific hospitals requirements...my son had it and i think he was able to go home when it was under 8....but i could be wrong since that was almost 9 years ago..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:06 PM
He was 36 weeks and 5lbs 6oz. They told me my breast milk for some reason was keeping him yellow too but I kept doing it. We tried the light at home and nothing helped. They let us stay with him at the hospital. We took care of him ourselves and they let me breastfeed him.

Quoting Anonymous: All my others were preemies. 33weekers. So ive never dealt with "normal" newborn stuff and it confuses me.

Quoting Anonymous: We got admitted. We tried the light at home but it was faster to go to the hospital. He was cleared in 3 days and didn't have to go back. We tried almost 2 weeks to get rid of it at home. He was early and his levels were 17 and slowly crept up.
Jemmy
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:07 PM
My son had it and we ended up up the doctor's office every day for about a week and then every other day for another week monitoring his levels. He just turned 6 a few days ago so I honestly don't remember the numbers, but we did manage to get the levels to come down a little each visit to where he was comfortable not admitting him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)