Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My v-day sob story

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

When I was 18, my boyfriend left me on Valentine's Day after finding out we were pregnant a week or two earlier. I was heartbroken and terrified and completely unprepared to be a mother, let alone a single mother. I hated Valentine's Day for years after that. I had some rough years and spent some time bitter and struggled quite a bit. 

Today is ten years later. I didn't get any presents today, or roses, or chocolates. And I'm completely happy about that? (I had to verify with my husband several times that we aren't exchanging gifts. I'm still not a huge fan of the holiday) I have a great husband and a great son and a great life, and now in retrospect I couldn't imagine a better gift that my son's birthfather could have given me than his absence from our lives.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Way to make lemonade out of lemons!  You go, girl.

Have a great weekend.

WishingAway
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:20 PM

This!

Quoting TranquilMind:

Have a great weekend.

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:20 PM

...Are you saying if he left you but was still there for his child you wouldn't be where you are now?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Exactly that, yes. Had he stayed in our lives, we wouldn't be the people we are now, in the place we are now, and my son wouldn't have grown up with the stabilty that he did. Besides, he obviously isn't the kind of man I would want my son to be modeling himself after.

Quoting sugarcrisp:

...Are you saying if he left you but was still there for his child you wouldn't be where you are now?

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Other than leaving, how is he 'obviously' not the kind of man you want around your child?

Quoting Anonymous:

Exactly that, yes. Had he stayed in our lives, we wouldn't be the people we are now, in the place we are now, and my son wouldn't have grown up with the stabilty that he did. Besides, he obviously isn't the kind of man I would want my son to be modeling himself after.

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Does there need to be another reason? He has made other life decision that I wouldn't want my son to find acceptable as well, but that's the biggest.

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Other than leaving, how is he 'obviously' not the kind of man you want around your child?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sugarcrisp:

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Reread my first response. This has now come full circle.

Quoting Anonymous:

Does there need to be another reason? He has made other life decision that I wouldn't want my son to find acceptable as well, but that's the biggest.

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:54 PM

I don't think you are getting this. I'm talking about reality, you are talking about hypotheticals. Your hypothetical is totally irrelevant as it isn't reality. Regardless, even if he stayed in my son's life, I've explained that he isn't the type of man I'd want my son to grow up to be for multiple reasons.

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sugarcrisp:

cheermom2girls
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:56 PM

This. Props to you!!

Quoting TranquilMind:

Have a great weekend.

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Cool. Thanks for not getting the point and not answering. Happy V-Day.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think you are getting this. I'm talking about reality, you are talking about hypotheticals. Your hypothetical is totally irrelevant as it isn't reality. Regardless, even if he stayed in my son's life, I've explained that he isn't the type of man I'd want my son to grow up to be for multiple reasons.

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)