Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby shower gift

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
So a family member is having a baby shower at the end of the month. They are having a girl but not telling and only asking for gender neutral things. I checked their registry and the only reason I figured out it was a girl is because they asked for $300 pink stroller.
Is it common to ask for such expensive things? Also is the gender neutral thing a trendy new thing or are they being weird?
I think I will just buy diapers or a care basket can't mess that up!....right?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:07 PM

I registered for a wide variety of gifts, from big ticket items like a stroller, to smaller items like spit rages, pacifiers and rattles, etc. I got everything, for some relatives/friends like to spend, and others stayed within a budget.

djg0622
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:07 PM
I would not expect the stroller. Maybe a bunch of people might go in together on it or people could give gift cards towards it. I have some things on my wish list just so I can find them when I want to buy them.
Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Maybe she likes pink and doesn't care if it's a boy or girl. Lots of my stuff was blue because I love blue. Yes, some put expensive stuff on there. We did some gender neutral since we didn't know what we were having with our first. Never had a shower with my second two.

Idntreallycare
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:09 PM
2 moms liked this

big stuff is typically shared among a few guests or bought by family that can afford it. Also, some places give you a discount on anything not purchased off your registry, so even if they don't get the $300 stroller, they may get 15% off after they have their shower.

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:15 PM

I would never ask for something that pricey.

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:19 PM

This exactly! I'd much rather split the cost of a big ticket item with someone than get a bunch of little things when I attend showers.

Quoting Idntreallycare:

big stuff is typically shared among a few guests or bought by family that can afford it. Also, some places give you a discount on anything not purchased off your registry, so even if they don't get the $300 stroller, they may get 15% off after they have their shower.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:21 PM

I don't think $300 is too expensive to be on a registry.  Some family members ENJOY spending that kind of money.  I know my MIL always wanted to buy at least one of the big ticket items.  It was a point of pride for her, and if I didn't give her an idea to go on she'd be upset.  So I tossed a few pricey items on the registry for her and other generous relatives.

DH and I knew the gender of our son, but we still asked mostly for gender neutral.  It was a practicality thing.  We knew we wanted one or two more, and if we got a good stock of gender neutral then whether it was another boy or a girl we could still reuse most of the items!  It just makes sense:  The baby shower is supposed to help you kick off a new family.  Why limit it to just that one baby?

If you buy diapers, go for sizes 1-3.  Most babies won't be in Newborns for long!  And I usually do give care baskets to friends and they often say it was the single most appreciated gift!  Nipple cream, nursing pads, and milk bags for BFing Moms.  Bottles, bottle cleaners, etc for formula minded Moms.  Magazines and little books for Mom in labor, and some little books for the nursery.  Then a few things for the baby.  Also, try to get a basket that can be USED for more than just gifting.  I like to get baskets with lids and/or handles so they can make little mobile baby-care stations for when they want to move about the house, or have the basket double as a sock basket.

Lisette1528
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:29 PM

I've used the registry as my own personal shopping list of things I like or things I'm deciding between, not a "guests must buy these items" list.  I have both expensive items (stroller mostly) and not expensive items on there.  I do NOT expect anyone to purchase  the large expensive items for me.

As far as the gender neutral goes - I didn't want to know and wasn't entirely convinced with the results of the anatomy ultrasound.  Also, if they are planning on having more children later, gender nuetral would be a smarter choice, as clothing, bottles, blankets and such can be saved for the next child without worrying about gender.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:08 PM
No they say she HATES pink that's why she doesn't want anyone to know it's a girl?

Quoting Raeann11:

Maybe she likes pink and doesn't care if it's a boy or girl. Lots of my stuff was blue because I love blue. Yes, some put expensive stuff on there. We did some gender neutral since we didn't know what we were having with our first. Never had a shower with my second two.

Foolynroo2
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:10 PM

around here it's common to ask for strollers and such.

Gender neutural and then want a pink stroller is odd, but I understand the neutrality - so they can re-use their things ... but the pink stroller kinda defeats that purpose.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)