Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taxes & Child Support Arrears?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 1 Replies

My friend is newly divorced. She was divorced last April or May, so this is the first time filing taxes since the divorce was finalized.

EX  pays child support, but pays in random amounts every month. He is ordered to pay $1200 for the kids. The payments come in $200 here, $35 there, $175 there, with larger payments being made every 2-3 months to bring him up to date. He is only paying 20% of his income, has no major bills, etc- he just has an expensive girlfriend, which is why he doesn't pay in full every month.

Right now, he was caught up as of Dec 31st. He's been behind ever since, but actively paying on it.

If he is still behind when he files taxes, how far behind (months, I'm guessing, not based on dollar amount??) does he have to be before they appropriate his taxes to cover his child support?

She said he'll be caught up for Feb with a $25 payment, because he just put down almost $900 late last week. But, given his past history, she said he's likely to be behind until late March or early April.

I told her I thought he would need to be more than a month behind before they'll take his taxes. She is hoping they'll take them to cover any arrears if he files while behind at all, even if it's just $25.

They are in Michigan. Does anyone know how long he has to be in arrears for them to take it out of his taxes? Honestly, I'm guessing even if they don't, he'll just pay up out of his taxes anyway.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:45 PM
If it's reported him behind any amount they will take it, to make him current.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)