Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Where do you draw the line of abuse?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
I do not want to start any kind of argument at all!
I am just curious, because I see so many times parents' tell other parents what they are doing is abuse while the other parent feels it is what is the best for their kids. Like one parent who will yell and scream and call their children all sorts of names will tell a different parent that because they spank, even if they never spank with anger, that they are abusive. So, at what line do you say is abuse?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2014 at 5:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ramalamasp
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 5:03 AM
I report anything that can be construed as abuse. I am a mandated reported and don't want to risk my license, but more, I think every child should be safe. Verbal abuse is just as, if not more, damaging that physical abuse. Bruises or reports of frequent spanking or being hit with an object I will report.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
want10more
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 5:07 AM
1 mom liked this

i have spanked. i have 6 kids. w/ 2 it worked well. but of course, no marks, and it really didn't even hurt their butts, so much as their pride. w/ my other kids time out worked better. i don't think spanking is abusive, but then, there is a swat, a spanking, and then HITTING. ya just gotta know the difference. and i call my teens names, i call them shithead and dumbass....... but only cuz that's what my dad called us kids, in FUN. and so my kids know it's only teasing too. and we laff about it. but to call them REAL names? like, if i meant it? or called them other names? no, i don't like that. i don't think that's right. i think it's ok to tease, so long as the kid knows it's teasing........ but i'd not ever wanna REALLY call them bad names.

want10more
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 5:11 AM

if you read my post, you will see i call my kids names. IN FUN. so i know you know the diff. laffin and saying way to go dumbass! w/ a laff and a hug is fine. but saying you're stupid is ugly and wrong. and did i spank frequently? oh no. just a swat once in a while. and i was never about the pain, i just dented their attitude. if ya gotta spank for pain? ew. no. time to try something else i think.

Quoting ramalamasp: I report anything that can be construed as abuse. I am a mandated reported and don't want to risk my license, but more, I think every child should be safe. Verbal abuse is just as, if not more, damaging that physical abuse. Bruises or reports of frequent spanking or being hit with an object I will report.

Fulgent.Drinker
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 5:12 AM
2 moms liked this

It's all subjective; not impartial: based on somebody's opinions or feelings rather than on facts or evidence.

Let the new CaféMom war begin.

*goes to make popcorn

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Feb. 15, 2014 at 5:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I consider physical discipline of any kind abuse. Verbal, emotional, sexual and neglect I think I'm pretty in line with popular opinion on those.
Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Feb. 15, 2014 at 5:16 AM

This. 

Quoting thefiregoddess: I consider physical discipline of any kind abuse. Verbal, emotional, sexual and neglect I think I'm pretty in line with popular opinion on those.

lulalacroix
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 5:16 AM

I only spanked my first and it didn't work.  The other 3 have never been spanked.  Honestly, I don't even like it when parents speak to their children in an ugly way.  I can be stern and raise my voice slightly, but screaming is never necessary in our family.  Just seems like if you raise your kids with respect then they will respect you back.

ramalamasp
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 5:35 AM

Ok. What is your point? And what is 'laff'? Do you mean laugh?

Quoting want10more:

if you read my post, you will see i call my kids names. IN FUN. so i know you know the diff. laffin and saying way to go dumbass! w/ a laff and a hug is fine. but saying you're stupid is ugly and wrong. and did i spank frequently? oh no. just a swat once in a while. and i was never about the pain, i just dented their attitude. if ya gotta spank for pain? ew. no. time to try something else i think.

Quoting ramalamasp: I report anything that can be construed as abuse. I am a mandated reported and don't want to risk my license, but more, I think every child should be safe. Verbal abuse is just as, if not more, damaging that physical abuse. Bruises or reports of frequent spanking or being hit with an object I will report.

crumpy_gat
by No. on Feb. 15, 2014 at 5:41 AM
3 moms liked this
Anything that hurts or harms a child, physically, mentally, or emotionally.
want10more
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 6:00 AM

it's called slang. heavens to betsy, it must be awfully hard to be on a CHAT room and not know slang. and if you can't find my POINT, you're missing the mark in more ways than one.

Quoting ramalamasp:

Ok. What is your point? And what is 'laff'? Do you mean laugh?

Quoting want10more:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)