Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

2 year old doesn't need sleep

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:46 AM
  • 49 Replies
Neo is 2 years and 4 months and seems to be operating on next to no sleep

I don't know what to do, I put him down for a nap every day at 12 and he usually goes just fine, sleeps for an hour and then gets up and goes to bed at 7 until 8am

Except for the past 4 days, he's refused his naps, getting out of bed slamming doors, throwing toys and laughing at me when I put him back in bed, so I give up after an hour, but by 4pm he's ready to crash out, though I don't let him as I need him in bed at 7 so I can do school work.

Well he goes to bed at 7 just fine, but then is back up at 10 running around slamming doors, throwing toys laughing and being naughty, he crashes about 4am, this is after me putting him back to bed over a hundred times! Then he gets up at 8am

Has any one else experienced anything like this? For the life of me I can't get this kid to sleep
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MagicMonkey
by Cilla on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:50 AM
Bump
MooseMomma
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:50 AM
My current experience is not quite the same. My son is almost 20 months old and suddenly isn't sleeping through the night. He will be up usually once around 2am ish and then is up for the day at 6:45am (he normally sleeps until 8am). He naps just fine, and his night time pattern doesn't change even if he has missed his nap. I'm so tired.
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. It is a nap strike. My kids went through this around age 2 as well. I hated it....but I stuck with it kept trying to put them down. Needless to say, I won:) dd stopped napping this past summer right before she turned 6. My 4 yo still naps daily...2-3 hours:)
One thing that helped me during nap strike was taking them to the park after breakfast and running them for like 2 hours. Give them a good lunch. I just stuck with it and after a week or so, we were back on schedule.
They NEED to nap....not only for their sake but for mine lol that is why I just kept at it.
MagicMonkey
by Cilla on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:52 AM
Quoting MooseMomma: My current experience is not quite the same. My son is almost 20 months old and suddenly isn't sleeping through the night. He will be up usually once around 2am ish and then is up for the day at 6:45am (he normally sleeps until 8am). He naps just fine, and his night time pattern doesn't change even if he has missed his nap. I'm so tired.

Oh I wish that was how it was here!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:53 AM
Can you put him back in a crib?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:53 AM

As time consuming as it sounds - I would sit with him and pat him or just sit - until he falls asleep. He obviously still needs his naps - or at least his rests, and maybe if for a few days if you sit with him and rest, it might put him back into his routine. Most kids I know (as a daycare worker) still need naps until 4 or else they get very cranky and misbehave in the afternoon.

MagicMonkey
by Cilla on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:54 AM
Quoting iamcafemom83: Yes. It is a nap strike. My kids went through this around age 2 as well. I hated it....but I stuck with it kept trying to put them down. Needless to say, I won:) dd stopped napping this past summer right before she turned 6. My 4 yo still naps daily...2-3 hours:)
One thing that helped me during nap strike was taking them to the park after breakfast and running them for like 2 hours. Give them a good lunch. I just stuck with it and after a week or so, we were back on schedule.
They NEED to nap....not only for their sake but for mine lol that is why I just kept at it.

Pray for me lol!! This is a serious strike, I'll keep at it, . I hope he gives in soon
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:55 AM
Hang in there, mama! Where there's a will, there's a way!

Quoting MagicMonkey:
Quoting iamcafemom83: Yes. It is a nap strike. My kids went through this around age 2 as well. I hated it....but I stuck with it kept trying to put them down. Needless to say, I won:) dd stopped napping this past summer right before she turned 6. My 4 yo still naps daily...2-3 hours:)

Pray for me lol!! This is a serious strike, I'll keep at it, . I hope he gives in soon
MagicMonkey
by Cilla on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:56 AM
Quoting Anonymous: Can you put him back in a crib?

I considered this, but I've already given the crib a way, not willing to pay out for a new one, so :/
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:56 AM
Try a three year old who is up til 3 or 4 AM then turns around and is up at 9 AM and doesn't nap. I am so overwhelmed it's not funny!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN