Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 year old doesn't need sleep

Posted by   + Show Post
Neo is 2 years and 4 months and seems to be operating on next to no sleep

I don't know what to do, I put him down for a nap every day at 12 and he usually goes just fine, sleeps for an hour and then gets up and goes to bed at 7 until 8am

Except for the past 4 days, he's refused his naps, getting out of bed slamming doors, throwing toys and laughing at me when I put him back in bed, so I give up after an hour, but by 4pm he's ready to crash out, though I don't let him as I need him in bed at 7 so I can do school work.

Well he goes to bed at 7 just fine, but then is back up at 10 running around slamming doors, throwing toys laughing and being naughty, he crashes about 4am, this is after me putting him back to bed over a hundred times! Then he gets up at 8am

Has any one else experienced anything like this? For the life of me I can't get this kid to sleep
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:46 AM
Replies (41-49):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 16, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I realize I am a little late to posting on here :) you mentioned you have school work to get done and I can soo relate! My son will be 5 next month and still naps at daycare, but NEVER at home, go figure!

At around 2 they are usually going through a growth spurt, which means they need more sleep. I know for me my boys ALWAYS fight sleep when they are overtired. Since he is waking up later in the night after falling asleep, it sounds like his body is just thinking it's nap time. Maybe you can try puttin him down for his nap an hour earlier. If he is growing and needing more sleep he may already be to that over tired point at his normal nap time.

I used to babysit for a few kids and 2 of the kids I watched, much like my own :) were Jekyll and hydes when they needed sleep. One of them when I started watching him, his mom told me "oh he never sleeps, he is very difficult". He was over tired! The first time he napped at my house he slept 6 hrs! From that point on he took 3-4 hour naps everyday, even at home, until he went to school! He was also one of the most pleasant children I have ever been around. A well rested child is usually a much easier to deal with child :) The other little girl was the same story, but 2 hour naps.

I hope things get better!! I am sure you know you child :) read him and follow his cues over the clock, schedules are great but sometimes our kids are telling us they need some adjusting. Fingers crossed... Momma needs to study, so this all HAS to get better!!

want10more
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 4:34 AM

lol i hear ya! funny how lil uns fight the sleep, while we, as parents, just BEG for a nap eh? LOL. i guess just keep it up for as long as you can....... baby WILL wanna sleep after a while..... the trick is? will that happen before you go nuts? LOL. jk. just remember it won't be long before you will stay awake, wondering if both the kid and the car will come home in one piece! lol!

Quoting MagicMonkey:

This is what we did yesterday, we took him to a soft play area, ran him around non stop for 2 hours, got him in the car, woke him everytime he started to snooze, ran him around some more at home, gave him puzzles to do, kept him up till 8. HE SLEPT, I just don't know if i'm able to do that every day, i'm exhausted from it lol

Quoting want10more:

my evil lil troll monkey did that too. so........... right after supper? me, my hubby, his older sibs, played crazy w/ him until we just wore his lil butt OUT! and we skipped the nap and even when he got sooooo crabby, we kept him up. damn near killed us, i'll admit that!  oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh did he ever get ornery! but finally it did work! good luck, we both are entering the terrible 2's! heh.

MagicMonkey
by Cilla on Feb. 17, 2014 at 5:38 AM

Haha, this is just the laugh I needed, day 3 of non stop excersise, I need sleep lol, off to softplay we go!!

Quoting want10more:

lol i hear ya! funny how lil uns fight the sleep, while we, as parents, just BEG for a nap eh? LOL. i guess just keep it up for as long as you can....... baby WILL wanna sleep after a while..... the trick is? will that happen before you go nuts? LOL. jk. just remember it won't be long before you will stay awake, wondering if both the kid and the car will come home in one piece! lol!

Quoting MagicMonkey:

This is what we did yesterday, we took him to a soft play area, ran him around non stop for 2 hours, got him in the car, woke him everytime he started to snooze, ran him around some more at home, gave him puzzles to do, kept him up till 8. HE SLEPT, I just don't know if i'm able to do that every day, i'm exhausted from it lol

Quoting want10more:

my evil lil troll monkey did that too. so........... right after supper? me, my hubby, his older sibs, played crazy w/ him until we just wore his lil butt OUT! and we skipped the nap and even when he got sooooo crabby, we kept him up. damn near killed us, i'll admit that!  oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh did he ever get ornery! but finally it did work! good luck, we both are entering the terrible 2's! heh.

want10more
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 3:01 AM

and WHY do kids always need the benedryl while parents need the phenphen? LOL......... good luck w/ ur boooooful lil un. pretty sure my own 15 yr old girl is gonna keep me awake until she's at LEAST 40! (God grant me the patience!) lol..........

Quoting MagicMonkey:

Haha, this is just the laugh I needed, day 3 of non stop excersise, I need sleep lol, off to softplay we go!!

Quoting want10more:

Quoting MagicMonkey:

Quoting want10more:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2014 at 3:06 AM
I'm going through this exact thing with my 2 year old son as we speak. I cannot deal with this schedule anymore.

Bump!!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2014 at 3:08 AM
My nephew is 2 and named neo.
MagicMonkey
by Cilla on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Haha, that's weird! Where are you from

Quoting Anonymous: My nephew is 2 and named neo.

MagicMonkey
by Cilla on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Constant, and i mean c.o.n.s.t.a.n.t. excersise is the way forward for us still, even indoors i'm setting up assault courses for him

Quoting Anonymous: I'm going through this exact thing with my 2 year old son as we speak. I cannot deal with this schedule anymore.

Bump!!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:56 PM
Silicon valley.

Quoting MagicMonkey:

Haha, that's weird! Where are you from

Quoting Anonymous: My nephew is 2 and named neo.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured