Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is why later term abortions should be legal.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

A good friend of mine discovered she was expecting her third child when she was 39. This was an unexpected, but very pleasant surprise. Her older 2 children were in their late teens and the entire family was thrilled with the news. 

Her first ultrasound early in the pregnancy indicated there were issues. She was told there was a very high probability that the child had Downs Syndrome. They took the news in stride. They knew they could overcome this and were eager for the baby to arrive. They opted against doing an amnio to confirm because she had no intention of terminating no matter what. 

As the pregnancy went on the news got worse and worse. The baby was carefully monitored and every check up indicated increasingly devastating issues. It wasn't until she was past 25 weeks that they knew how badly malformed the baby was. His organs were growing outside of his body. His head was growing at a faster rate than his body. He had water on his brains and lungs. It was clear there was no chance he would survive. 

My friend and her family never considered terminating the pregnancy. She knew the reality of what they facing. Devoutly religious they prayed and stayed strong. 

She went in to labor around 35 weeks. She delivered in the best hospital in the area with a nicu to handle this special needs baby baby. When he was born it was clear that all the issue the doctors fears were real and worse. He lived for several gut wrenching hours. He was medicated to the point that he most likely died of an overdose because watching him struggle with the pain of life was unbearable. 

This is something that has torn the family apart. It goes without saying that my friend will grieve over this for the rest of her life. She's not the same person and I don't think she ever will be. But what no one expected was the toll it took on her children especially her daughter. Now several years later her daughter is still severely depressed and suicidal. She's dropped out of school and under the care of a psychiatrist. It became clear after the fact that she was expecting a miracle and was not prepared for the death of her brother. 

My friend has shared her conflicted feeling. While she was pregnant she didn't even consider abortion. But seeing the aftermath of carrying to term she now feels that was a selfish choice. 

I am not saying she made the wrong choice. I don't think there is a right choice in this situation. But I can't fathom thinking anyone should make that choice other than the family faced with this devastating situation. For every "miracle" baby that ends up healthy there are thousands who suffer greatly and leave behind devastated families. 

So basically it's nobody's business but the family and the doctor. Post all the videos you want. It doesn't change the reality of the situation. 

Edit to clarify:

She had the option of getting an abortion and never even considered it. The point is that choice should be there for people in this position. She chose not to do it, but now questions/regrets the choice she made. No one should be forced to carry a to term under these circumstances. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2014 at 2:36 PM
Replies (151-160):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 26 on Feb. 15, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Interesting

Quoting bowribbonmama: Yes, science.

Quoting Anonymous:

Scientific facts?

Quoting bowribbonmama: Well, it happened. I had had the headache for 2 weeks STRAIGHT, nothing took the pain away. The morphine was the last resort.

You need to step away from the pro-life propaganda. I have made my decision to be pro-choice based on scientific facts.

Quoting Anonymous:

What reputable hospital would administer a Morphine drip to a pregnant woman for a headache? Methinks you're making stuff up now!  My background is in medicine, so you better think before your type.

Also, you need to step away from the Pro Choice propaganda.

Quoting bowribbonmama: You don't know what the child felt for his short life.
No, morphine doesn't always work. When I was pregnant with my youngest I suffered from awful headaches at the end and the ER hooked me up to morphine by IV. It did NOTHING but make me high.
You need to educate yourself.

Quoting Anonymous:

So, Morphine is ineffective? lmao

sorry, but you sound like an uneducated fool. open a book and your mind.

Quoting bowribbonmama: Pain meds don't always take the pain away.

YOU sound like a heartless monstern

Quoting Anonymous:

The child wasn't in any pain. The OP stated the baby received an overdose of painkillers.

Whatever "agony" it endured, pales in comparison to having one's limps pulled off without anesthesia or having one's spine snipped and brains suctioned out in utereo.

THAT IS BARBARIC....and anyone who can't see that is a heartless monster.

Quoting Anonymous:

I do see a difference, a huge difference. The baby lived for hours in agony. If they had been aborted, it would have been done within seconds. So yes, it would have been better to abort than to let the baby live in pain. 

It has nothing to do with evil and everything to do with caring about how that baby will feel when it's born. 

Quoting Anonymous:

So, I am saying I am glad that it is mostly illegal. I think it is inhuman to bare a child only to kill it. I think that you are CUTTING a baby into pieces which causes agony until death. Do you see a difference? I don't. Infanticide is evil and the people who chose that way as a way out for their offspring are monsters.

Quoting Anonymous:

So, you think it's better to let the baby be born in agony... Yes, that sounds logical. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't care how many sad stories about babies, you will NEVER convince me that Half delivering a baby to cut it's head open and stir up it's brains, or snip its spinal cord  is a better choice. 

sandribiris
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank God she did not KILL her baby, no one has the right to end a life, she will understand someday why God allowed  this, blessed her heart and the family, for the other girl that is suffering, she needs find peace and real hope and focus in the Creator, suicidal toughts are not from God, Jesus  can make her free of that opression and demonic  depression,  Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matt 11;28 This situation can make the family closer to Jesus ,find salvation and meaning of this fast life eternity is what matters! for sure  he has many blessings for them, is not religious stuff is a relatioship with him.

mommie2madison
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Oh brother...

So in the cases where "prayer" does work - is that because God changed his mind?  Why would he have to change his mind if it's all part of his master plan.  Or maybe that's the problem... his master plan called for him to put us through toment and a roller-coaster life for his amusement...

SMH

Quoting Anonymous:

Prayerdoes not always change God's plan. He has things plotted out for us for a reason.  Science is His plan, created by Him. We have no control over this, neither does science. It's our attempt to manipulate God's plan that is the problem. It's not an option, it's all up to Him!

Quoting Anonymous: This ⬇⬇⬇

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm pro-choice, and not looking to throw stones or debate, but I have to respectfully disagree.  She had the options available to her, she knew there were bad circumstances early on.  It doesn't seem that having a late-term abortion option would have changed anything in this scenario - she was against the abortion for religious reasons.  To me, what this story demonstrates, is a persuasive case against thinking the power of prayer will trump science. 

TrueTrophyWife
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this
That is just sad. All the way around. Especially the non-believing part.

Quoting mommie2madison:

God's decision?  Right.  So I guess it's Santa Claus' decision whether kids get presents at Christmas or not.

Sorry - but I don't believe in God, and I am not about to have some fictional character determine what's right  or wrong for a woman.

Quoting TrueTrophyWife: I still stand firm that abortion is wrong no matter how far along a woman is or is not. That is God's decision and should not be our own.

That is gut wrenching, but that family would have faced sadness and mourning no matter what. God can use that sadness for good. I've seen Him do it too many times.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 26 on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:51 PM
It is all His plan. Let me point out this is not a debate about God. You are free to believe what you like, as am I. No, he does not "change his mind" as you state it. So, yes he does plan happiness AND sadness. It is how we respond that is important. He is not mean or vindictive. It is all for a reason.

It is so sad that you feel like God is picking on you or anyone else. But I understand this feeling because i have felt that way in the past but was fortunate enough to grow bigger than that & learn that, though the things he has planned for me have broken my heart & made me so angry in the past, that I have learned & grown so much because of plan. I have become more understanding, educated & grown immensely because of my experiences. I also understand that behind every person is a story.

Quoting mommie2madison:

Oh brother...

So in the cases where "prayer" does work - is that because God changed his mind?  Why would he have to change his mind if it's all part of his master plan.  Or maybe that's the problem... his master plan called for him to put us through toment and a roller-coaster life for his amusement...

SMH

Quoting Anonymous:

Prayerdoes not always change God's plan. He has things plotted out for us for a reason.  Science is His plan, created by Him. We have no control over this, neither does science. It's our attempt to manipulate God's plan that is the problem. It's not an option, it's all up to Him!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm pro-choice, and not looking to throw stones or debate, but I have to respectfully disagree.  She had the options available to her, she knew there were bad circumstances early on.  It doesn't seem that having a late-term abortion option would have changed anything in this scenario - she was against the abortion for religious reasons.  To me, what this story demonstrates, is a persuasive case against thinking the power of prayer will trump science. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:55 PM
No actually that a great idea!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous: I agree with medically necessary abortions but not the ones used as birthcontrol. I think if the abortion isnt necessary then it should only be proformed with a full hysterectomy. If your not responsible enough to take care of that child then your not responsible enough to take care of any child.

Oh please.  So a woman should go into full blown menopause and have all the associated issues with her hormones and bones, etc.  If you want to go with this option you also need to be advocating for full castration of all men who do not support their children.  Sounds pretty extreme and stupid doesn't it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 26 on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:00 PM
Lol. So far in this post, I've heard a lot of extreme & stupid. But I suppose everyone has a reason for their thought process. I just don't understand the thought process where it's ok to kill a person because they're a baby.

Quoting Anonymous: No actually that a great idea!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous: I agree with medically necessary abortions but not the ones used as birthcontrol. I think if the abortion isnt necessary then it should only be proformed with a full hysterectomy. If your not responsible enough to take care of that child then your not responsible enough to take care of any child.

Oh please.  So a woman should go into full blown menopause and have all the associated issues with her hormones and bones, etc.  If you want to go with this option you also need to be advocating for full castration of all men who do not support their children.  Sounds pretty extreme and stupid doesn't it?

mommie2madison
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:56 PM

I don't know what I said to imply or give the impression that I feel God is picking on me (or anyone else).  It's great that you pity me, but I honestly don't think anything about my life is sad.  Yes, I've faced trials and tribulations in life (like most have), and learned and grown from those experiences.  But I do not credit a "God" for that. 

Quoting Anonymous: It is all His plan. Let me point out this is not a debate about God. You are free to believe what you like, as am I. No, he does not "change his mind" as you state it. So, yes he does plan happiness AND sadness. It is how we respond that is important. He is not mean or vindictive. It is all for a reason.

It is so sad that you feel like God is picking on you or anyone else. But I understand this feeling because i have felt that way in the past but was fortunate enough to grow bigger than that & learn that, though the things he has planned for me have broken my heart & made me so angry in the past, that I have learned & grown so much because of plan. I have become more understanding, educated & grown immensely because of my experiences. I also understand that behind every person is a story.

Quoting mommie2madison:

Oh brother...

SMH

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 26 on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:15 PM
As I said before. This is not about God. I feel done with this conversation with you. I have said my beliefs. And have no intention of discussing this any further. You are entitled to your beliefs, as I am to mine. Good night.

Quoting mommie2madison:

I don't know what I said to imply or give the impression that I feel God is picking on me (or anyone else).  It's great that you pity me, but I honestly don't think anything about my life is sad.  Yes, I've faced trials and tribulations in life (like most have), and learned and grown from those experiences.  But I do not credit a "God" for that. 

Quoting Anonymous: It is all His plan. Let me point out this is not a debate about God. You are free to believe what you like, as am I. No, he does not "change his mind" as you state it. So, yes he does plan happiness AND sadness. It is how we respond that is important. He is not mean or vindictive. It is all for a reason.

Quoting mommie2madison:

Oh brother...

SMH

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

mommie2madison
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:20 PM

If you were done you wouldn't have felt compelled to reply... but no hard feelings - Goodnight to you too!  ;-)

Quoting Anonymous: As I said before. This is not about God. I feel done with this conversation with you. I have said my beliefs. And have no intention of discussing this any further. You are entitled to your beliefs, as I am to mine. Good night.

Quoting mommie2madison:

Quoting mommie2madison:

Oh brother...

SMH

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)