Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Pediatrician and Study Now Say Babies ‘Should Sleep in Mother’s Bed Until Age Three’

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 219 Replies
2 moms liked this

Previous studies have said that newborns should not sleep in their parents’ bed. Pediatricians had consistently urged parents to put newborns to bed in cradles and cribs. But now a new study suggests that babies’ hearts are actually under great stress if they sleep on their own. This has some pediatricians urging parents to “co-sleep” with babies, even toddlers, up to the age of three.

?
Dr. Nils Bergman, a pediatrician at the University of Cape Town in South Africa says that sleeping alone causes problems with babies’ hearts, and also causes problems with bonding.

Dr. Bergman also claims that brain development can be impeded by separate sleeping for babies and mothers, leading to behavioral problems later in life.

But previous studies had warned that babies could suffocate if parents accidentally rolled over on them. A study based in Britain claims that nearly two-thirds of unexplained infant deaths involved co-sleeping.

Experts are nearly evenly divided and polarized on the issue. The National Childbirth Trust is in favor of co-sleeping, while the Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths urges against it.

Dr. Bergman, however, disputes the claim that unexplained infant deaths are caused by co-sleeping. In an interview with the Daily Mail, he said that ”When babies are smothered and suffer cot deaths, it is not because their mother is present. It is because of other things: toxic fumes, cigarettes, alcohol, big pillows and dangerous toys.”

Dr Bergman has started a new movement called ‘Kangaroo Mother Care’ which emphasizes what he considers the benefits of skin-to-skin contact between a mother and her newborn.

In his studies, Bergman has claimed that only 6 children experienced a stress-free night of sleep on their own. Those who did sleep alone experienced several times more stress on their hearts than those who slept in the same beds as their parents, particularly their mothers.

Bergman’s study also said that disruption to babies’ brain cycles due to sleeping alone led to problems with organ development. This, Bergman said, could lead to later problems in life.

What are your thoughts? If you have children, have you tried Dr. Bergman’s suggestions? What did you think?

(Article by M.B. David; image via Enfants Quebec)
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluescorpia
by Shanoon on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I co slept with both of my kids. They are very healthy all around.
gabenmikeysmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds good. I co slept with all of mine.
Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:51 PM
3 moms liked this

Family beds have been around from the dawn of man.  I personally don't feel I got a good night sleep, nor did my husband, with a baby over 4-6 months old sleeping with us because they move around.  The risk of the baby crawling over me while we're asleep was just not one I was willing to take. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:51 PM
I co-sleep with my kids.
norwgnwood
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:53 PM
7 moms liked this

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:53 PM
6 moms liked this

I don't give a shit. If ever I have another baby, he/she isn't getting anywhere near my bed.

norwgnwood
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this
2 different things.

Quoting TheSilence: ”When babies are smothered and suffer cot deaths, it is not because their mother is present. It is because of other things: toxic fumes, cigarettes, alcohol, big pillows and dangerous toys.”

That's bullshit. Explain that to mothers who have done everything 'right' and their child dies from SIDS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:53 PM
Nope ...not in my lifetime
cLanief
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:53 PM
Fuck cosleeping till 3. Lol I coslept with both of mine till they were off the boob. As soon as they went to their own beds we all slept sooooo much better. Together we turned in to an inferno so it was hard to sleep and if anyone moved at all the other woke up.
kristen0812
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I stopped reading at 'sleeping alone causes problems with their hearts'.

No.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)