Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Common core (education)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 63 Replies

Do you know much about it?

what are your thoughts?

i live in Illinois...my son will be attending a private school. And while at the open house we learned that they follow common core...

I'm not gonna pull him from that school, but definitely not in favor of common core .....ugh....why can't kids just learn/be kids.....

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RazzleMySpazz
by spaztastic on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:10 PM
Honestly no.....

I've heard a lot of opinions.... But I am a bit confused about the real impacts of it...

My mom who is a teacher (middle school an high school level) with a degree in child psychology is in favor of it.....
yperez0209
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:11 PM
My kiddos are in private school and they don't follow core. Personally I don't like it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Quoting yperez0209: My kiddos are in private school and they don't follow core. Personally I don't like it.

Your lucky! We fell in love wih a private school for our son, come to find out they do follow...most private schools here in Illinois do!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:15 PM
2 moms liked this
It sucks. So confusing and there is no reason to work so hard on a simple problem. My dd has trouble with basic math and I have no clue how she will get through it.
ivegotrhythm
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:15 PM
It's horrible. My son has spent his whole fourth grade year relearning math he knew in second grade because now they have to do it a certain way

He's gifted in math and now hates it because he's frustrated and bored. It's just "busy work. "
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:16 PM
DD'S in a public school that goes the common core route.

I have no issues with it.
AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Thank God my daughter's private school refuses to implement it any more than necessary for the students to do well on the ITBS.

I am NOT a fan of common core.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Heisenberg
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:17 PM
2 moms liked this
I think teaching children multiple ways to solve a problem is a good thing.
tinybluemoon
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:18 PM
I like it. I grew up in countries that have common core like education. I'm suprised it has taken America so long to catch up.
Miller0305
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids are in public school. I have no problem with common core. Common core is not a curriculum, it's just a set of standards. The districts can choose to teach those standards any way they want. I'm very happy with my kid's education.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)