Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dh thinks I should

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies
Start a career I don't like to have more money. Now, I know many people have jobs they don't like. BUT, I haven't had a "real" job yet and if I'm going to be trained or taught something, I'd like for it to be something I enjoy, even if it doesn't make as much money as something else. Dh thinks I'm selfish for that.

He thinks I should go to school or train for a job I know I won't like because it makes a lot of money.

Is he the selfish one, or am I?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 16, 2014 at 2:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ramalamasp
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 2:41 AM
1 mom liked this
You don't like money?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChewyBrownies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 2:44 AM
1 mom liked this
It's selfish if you guys are struggling.

Who cares what you want to do? You do what you have to do so your family can survive.
JackieGirl007
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 2:45 AM

Not selfish at all! (of you)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 16, 2014 at 2:45 AM
Ha. My ex tried to pull that shit with me. That's why he's an ex. He was a complete douche bag!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2014 at 2:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Of course I do. But I don't feel I should make myself miserable on purpose either.

Quoting ramalamasp: You don't like money?
Purgatorian
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 2:47 AM
How do you know you won't like the career he wants you to go into?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2014 at 2:49 AM
Well I'd like to get a smaller job like clerical or front desk UNTIL I figure out what I want to do.

Dh thinks its selfish of me to do that instead of say.. An MA, or Dental Hygienist. When I know I'd be bad at those jobs.

Quoting ChewyBrownies: It's selfish if you guys are struggling.

Who cares what you want to do? You do what you have to do so your family can survive.
ChewyBrownies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 2:50 AM
Then tell him you'd be more comfortable with something simpler.

Especially since you don't want to be fired from a job for doing bad.

Quoting Anonymous: Well I'd like to get a smaller job like clerical or front desk UNTIL I figure out what I want to do.

Dh thinks its selfish of me to do that instead of say.. An MA, or Dental Hygienist. When I know I'd be bad at those jobs.

Quoting ChewyBrownies: It's selfish if you guys are struggling.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 16, 2014 at 2:51 AM
For me its all about the benefits lol..i don't give a shit what I do...im tired of working weekend, nights, and holidays... I'm going back to school for accounting, I don't like it but, I like money and numbers lol...so I thought getting a degree in accounting will help me qualifying for a 8-5 job, no weekends,nights or holidays

I think a lot of ppl don't get to do what they want in life, they just do what they can to provide for themselves or their families..

like my dh, he is a medic in the army, but what he really wants to do is be a journalist, especially for gaming related stuff.
sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 2:51 AM

If you know it is something you won't enjoy, don't do it. Find something that is for you that you can make a paycheck with and work on that. Money is a necessary evil. But it's not the only thing people should focus on when choosing a career. If you're going to put forward your time and money for an education, it's important that it's one you will be able to survive with financially as well as be happy with.

As important as money is in life, your mental health is even more important.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN