Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Loss of Baby gift?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

What sort of gift do you give when someone loses an infant? Flowers are the "norm" but they're 3000 miles away and I don't want to take the chance on something going wrong (crappy arrangement, etc.). I found a beautiful windchime and candle holder that I think would be nice, but I don't want to just order it online and have it shipped to them, I want to send something myself with a personalized note. I'm having the damnedest time even thinking of places I could go locally to find something. Any ideas, ladies?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:13 AM
Replies (11-20):
imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Men deal with things in different ways.

Quoting Anonymous:

that's nice for the mom, yeah, but the dad, too. I was trying to think of something that would be for the both of them if possible instead of doing separate things, you know?

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

When my cousin lost her twins all of my aunts and uncles got together and bought her a beautiful necklace with the names on it. It was a smaller style necklace with very tiny print, sort of like a secret that they were always right there. 

sunnysideup89
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Oh my that is sad!!! 

Hallmark has nice things for that. I dont know if they have that in your state. 

I like the windchime idea, with a card. Very sweet. Just buy it in your home town then ship all together. 

*Prayers all around*

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

yeah that's true, I didn't think of it that way

Quoting svolkov: You do something to comfort mom and it will help dad too. Men aren't as comforted by materiak gifts kwim?

Quoting Anonymous:

that's nice for the mom, yeah, but the dad, too. I was trying to think of something that would be for the both of them if possible instead of doing separate things, you know?

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

When my cousin lost her twins all of my aunts and uncles got together and bought her a beautiful necklace with the names on it. It was a smaller style necklace with very tiny print, sort of like a secret that they were always right there. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:22 AM

yeah there's a hallmark store about half a mile from here (I have no clue what their hours are and they aren't listed online) but looking at the website it didn't look like they had all too much as far as sympathy goes, but maybe if I go in they'd have something. I'm just...... normally I'm very good at stuff like this, but then it's family that's so far away and I'm at a loss

Quoting sunnysideup89:

Oh my that is sad!!! 

Hallmark has nice things for that. I dont know if they have that in your state. 

I like the windchime idea, with a card. Very sweet. Just buy it in your home town then ship all together. 

*Prayers all around*

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:23 AM

food basket always works, and you can personalize the gift cards.

http://www.harryanddavid.com/h/gift-baskets-tower-boxes/gift-boxes/24429#:s=best:p=1

TrueTrophyWife
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:24 AM
I wouldn't want any gifts. I'd like flowers at a funeral, but that's it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:26 AM

I was thinking that, too, originally last night but I wasn't sure if a food basket was tacky in this situation?

Quoting Foolynroo2:

food basket always works, and you can personalize the gift cards.

http://www.harryanddavid.com/h/gift-baskets-tower-boxes/gift-boxes/24429#:s=best:p=1

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:26 AM
If you call the funeral home- usually they can recommend the florist they partner with so you know they will be taken care of. For an infant loss- me personally I would think something that could be worn close but wouldn't make people ask questions- like a necklace with the birthstone on it maybe with the name inscribed on the back
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:26 AM
Check things remembered, Mardel's, any Christian gift shop. Or, order something and have it shipped to you and then write your note, repackage it and ship it to them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)