Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Loss of Baby gift?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

What sort of gift do you give when someone loses an infant? Flowers are the "norm" but they're 3000 miles away and I don't want to take the chance on something going wrong (crappy arrangement, etc.). I found a beautiful windchime and candle holder that I think would be nice, but I don't want to just order it online and have it shipped to them, I want to send something myself with a personalized note. I'm having the damnedest time even thinking of places I could go locally to find something. Any ideas, ladies?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:13 AM
Replies (41-50):
lizzie_ann
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:06 AM
Personally I would have hated a wind chime. I have a necklace that some friends bought me when my daughter died, but I never wear it or even think about it (until this post).
But everyone is different.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:16 AM

yeah lol see... the mom and I aren't very close, she's BIL's gf and 3000 miles away (so we haven't had much opportunity to get to know each other, kwim?) so I don't know if getting her something personal would be overstepping but at the same time getting something "generic" seems very crass to me

Quoting lizzie_ann: Personally I would have hated a wind chime. I have a necklace that some friends bought me when my daughter died, but I never wear it or even think about it (until this post).
But everyone is different.

Jblb
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:21 AM
I found this site

Www.somethinginthemail.com or .ca

I have been using it lots. I recently sent a gift to a family that lost there 4mth old.

When my friend lost her son to cancer a few weeks ago, I wrote a letter. I didn't realize how much it meant to her, her husband actually contacted me to say, thank you! Everyday she reads it and EVERYTIME she smiles. It's the only time she smiles :(

Quoting Anonymous:

no, unfortunately (God how horrible does that sound?) 6 month old infant =\

Quoting thetrollcat:

are you talking a miscarriage here?

PeppermintyTea
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:23 AM
Oh gosh idk. Sorry for their loss, and I'm sure whatever you send your kind thoughts will be appreciated.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
My best friend did the for me when I lost my son. It had a pearl, and an E charm. I loved it and wore it everyday for a very long time. This was a beautiful gift but I suggest only doing something this personal if you are very close to the mother. Other wise flowers in a nice vase or food are the way to go.

Quoting Anonymous: If you call the funeral home- usually they can recommend the florist they partner with so you know they will be taken care of. For an infant loss- me personally I would think something that could be worn close but wouldn't make people ask questions- like a necklace with the birthstone on it maybe with the name inscribed on the back
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Something personalized with the baby's name!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:37 AM
http://www.myforeverchild.com
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:39 AM
There always has to be one of you. That is terrible. Don't forget, karma works in funny ways. I always make it a point to not say horrible things to people unless I would risk being put in their situation.

Quoting Anonymous: Flowers and a card that says, "on the bright side you can now sleep through the night."
Rebecca7708
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:39 AM
I like the wind chime idea. That would be a beautiful gift. You could also try a suncatcher.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:42 AM
That's fucking horrible-

Quoting Anonymous: Flowers and a card that says, "on the bright side you can now sleep through the night."
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)