Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Straight talk phones?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

BAH! Makes no sense lol. I wanted to use my old phone with them but they said I couldn't so I'm looking into a new one. I saw the Galaxy s3 in my local Walmart last night. I was going to order online today (it's currently OOS completely of course) and it said it worked in my area, well I just looked at ST website the phone isn't listed on there so I went back to Walmarts site and it now says it won't work in my area?? 0.o I checked the Galaxy S2 and that one says it will work in my area (but not listed on ST website!) 
Can't make any sense out of it :/ and what determines if it'll work in my town or not anyway??? 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 16, 2014 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 16, 2014 at 6:13 PM
Go into walmart, I have their family plan and it's great.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2014 at 6:32 PM
Dh had the walmart family mobile or whatever it is and it sucked, plus i can't change my number so want to keep my straight talk :)

Quoting Anonymous: Go into walmart, I have their family plan and it's great.
LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Straight talk phones are twitchy because not all of their phones work on the same network.

Their bring your own phone program usually works with all unlocked GSM phones (phones that were originally on TMobile or AT&T). 

Ilaynasmommy
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 6:34 PM
I switched back to cricket. Dh likes videos. If you go over their limit (which isnt even a set limit) they cut your data off until you enter a new month. You cant even buy extra or talk to a real person about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 6:36 PM

You can keep your number no matter what network you switch to. All you need is your account number and your pin or password that you set up when you created the account. you can switch from contract to prepaid and back to contract and still keep the same number. 

I have Walmart family mobile and I love it.  I used to sell them too.  The trick with family mobile is that it runs on the Tmobile network so if you don't have good tmobile coverage where you live, family mobile won't work either.

Quoting Anonymous: Dh had the walmart family mobile or whatever it is and it sucked, plus i can't change my number so want to keep my straight talk :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2014 at 6:41 PM

I thought that was based on the SIMS card?? Cause my aunt said they sent her a new sim for a different network cause she wasnt getting signal, and I'd be switching my SIMS from my current phone.

Quoting LokisMama:

Straight talk phones are twitchy because not all of their phones work on the same network.

Their bring your own phone program usually works with all unlocked GSM phones (phones that were originally on TMobile or AT&T). 

Alyia72
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Try going into walmart just because the site says its out of stock doesnt mean it is.. Our store is notorious for not updating its inventory.  We have the LG showtime on straight talk it said it wouldnt work in our old area but we activated it for our current address and it works just fine when we are down there in our old area visiting family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I've only had internet cut off once and that was because 2 apps were running 24/7 using internet that I didn't know about lol. But when I called I got through to a person (hard to understand but still a person lol) We've tried other companies and ST has been the best for us as far as prepaid.

Quoting Ilaynasmommy: I switched back to cricket. Dh likes videos. If you go over their limit (which isnt even a set limit) they cut your data off until you enter a new month. You cant even buy extra or talk to a real person about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2014 at 6:44 PM

There's really no other company I'd want to switch to, DH used to have family mobile and it sucked, he ended up on ST. Just need a new phone now but can't figure out if that ones going to work or not and if not I have to find a different one :(

Quoting LokisMama:

You can keep your number no matter what network you switch to. All you need is your account number and your pin or password that you set up when you created the account. you can switch from contract to prepaid and back to contract and still keep the same number. 

I have Walmart family mobile and I love it.  I used to sell them too.  The trick with family mobile is that it runs on the Tmobile network so if you don't have good tmobile coverage where you live, family mobile won't work either.

Quoting Anonymous: Dh had the walmart family mobile or whatever it is and it sucked, plus i can't change my number so want to keep my straight talk :)

LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 6:45 PM

It is.

They introduced the sim card thing after I quit selling them, but I imagine the concept is the same.  If you look at the lower left hand corner of the phone packaging you can see what network it runs off of. 

CDMA-V is Verizon.
CDMA-S is Sprint
GSM-T is Tmobile
GSM or GSM - A is AT&T.

They should be able to provide sim cards for each network, and they'll work in unlocked GSM phones, and possibly some older CDMA phones. (A lot of newer Verizon and Sprint phones use intigrated sim cards that cannot be replaced. Older ones still use sims though.)

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought that was based on the SIMS card?? Cause my aunt said they sent her a new sim for a different network cause she wasnt getting signal, and I'd be switching my SIMS from my current phone.

Quoting LokisMama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN