Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it ok for people of average or higher intelligence

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
to have a relationship with someone whose IQ puts them just barely in the intellectually disabled(edit - not mentally retarded, my bad) category? Is it taking advantage?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 16, 2014 at 8:38 PM
Replies (11-20):
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Feb. 16, 2014 at 8:43 PM

I need more information, though I can't believe someone that intelligent would want any kind of serious relationship with someone so unintelligent. 

julainepw
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 8:44 PM
I think generally we are geared toward whoever we are more suited to (not in all cases).
I don't think the lesser intelligent party is always being taken advantage of. Certainly some people would use the person more for their benefit. Love can be confusing sometimes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 16, 2014 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't think so linear.  When you fully embrace the concept of multiple intelligences, it's not so difficult to imagine a mutually beneficial/satisfying relationship.

danandsamsmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I would think that the power imbalance would be so great that there would be a great chance of the disabled person being taken advantage of.

I don't understand why a person of normal/above average intelligence would want to have a romantic relationship with a person that was greatly intellectually impaired.

Quoting Anonymous: Romantic/sexual.

Quoting danandsamsmom:

What sort of relationship?

ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I would think it's okay if both parties are consenting, but I personally couldn't tolerate being in a relationship with someone who couldn't hold their own end of an intelligent discussion on multiple topics.  I could see my flame shriveling and then pooof!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2014 at 8:45 PM
Watching video of Priscilla (Anna Duggar's sister) and David Waller. It seems so obvious to me that she is not very bright at all. I don't know if she's literally retarded, but I just took the question and ran with it.

Quoting Mystic.Falls:

What prompted this?

I am just curious.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 16, 2014 at 8:45 PM
5 moms liked this
Forrest Gump
bellydancer1984
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 8:45 PM

a friendship probably not...a romantic relationship on the other hand...i am not sure how that would work..i mean most intelligent or high IQ people want to date or be with people who they can communicate well with..well even lower IQ people do i guess pretty much anyone wants to be in a relationship were they can see eye to eye and communicate well with eachother...if that is impossible because of simple IQ i don't know if it is taking advantage but it probably wouldn't work out very well even if both people had the best intentions...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 16, 2014 at 8:46 PM
I just find it odd, because people tend to be attracted to others that are of their same standard. I'm not saying everyone does - but most well educated people prefer that their spouse is just as equivalent. Like if you have a doctorate degree you're most likely going to prefer to be with someone who has their degree as well. So it does take me by surprise when this isn't the case.
Mystic.Falls
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Quoting Anonymous: Watching video of Priscilla (Anna Duggar's sister) and David Waller. It seems so obvious to me that she is not very bright at all. I don't know if she's literally retarded, but I just took the question and ran with it.

Quoting Mystic.Falls:

What prompted this?

I am just curious.

I haven't seen this show except maybe once but it's all a blur.

I will have to check it out. Is there any particular episode I should look for?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN