Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it ok for people of average or higher intelligence

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
to have a relationship with someone whose IQ puts them just barely in the intellectually disabled(edit - not mentally retarded, my bad) category? Is it taking advantage?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 16, 2014 at 8:38 PM
Replies (21-30):
definecorrupt
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess it depends.  Is the "smarter" pereson getting something out of it? Money? A house? Or maybe they truely love and enjoy this person..  Personally I cant see the attaraction.  My boyfriend isnt as smart as I am but he definately isnt THAT bad.. even so, I have trouble with him sometimes because he doesnt always understand things that I think are pretty basic.  I couldnt imagine being with someone "barely in the mentally retarded category."

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2014 at 8:52 PM
I don't know if they're on the show, but they have a website with links to their YouTube videos. davidlovespriscilla.com

Quoting Mystic.Falls:

Quoting Anonymous: Watching video of Priscilla (Anna Duggar's sister) and David Waller. It seems so obvious to me that she is not very bright at all. I don't know if she's literally retarded, but I just took the question and ran with it.

Quoting Mystic.Falls:

What prompted this?

I am just curious.

I haven't seen this show except maybe once but it's all a blur.

I will have to check it out. Is there any particular episode I should look for?

Mystic.Falls
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 8:55 PM

I will check out more. I checked out some youtube videos.

She seems to be really thinking out what she is trying to say like she doesn't know exactly how she wants to express it. I am guessing she is not good on camera and may be a little akward.

She grew up in a large family and maybe for her it was harder to say what she needed to say among her other siblings? I am not saying she lacked attention but maybe she hasn't had as much social interaction...who knows.

I am not saying you are wrong in questioning anything but this is my take from what I've seen so far.

ETA: someone else was wondering if something was wrong with her besides you.

Here is the link to the youtube video I  am watching now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be0Y6eQ9TTw

Quoting Anonymous: I don't know if they're on the show, but they have a website with links to their YouTube videos. davidlovespriscilla.com

Quoting Mystic.Falls:

Quoting Anonymous: Watching video of Priscilla (Anna Duggar's sister) and David Waller. It seems so obvious to me that she is not very bright at all. I don't know if she's literally retarded, but I just took the question and ran with it.

Quoting Mystic.Falls:

What prompted this?

I am just curious.

Bluerose1482
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Are you asking from a moral stand point or a legal one?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2014 at 8:59 PM
Fair enough. But the David and Priscilla situation was just the catalyst that got me thinking of the issue in general, you know?
Quoting Mystic.Falls:

She seems to be really thinking out what she is trying to say like she doesn't know exactly how she wants to express it. I am guessing she is not good on camera and may be a little akward.

She grew up in a large family and maybe for her it was harder to say what she needed to say among her other siblings? I am not saying she lacked attention but maybe she hasn't had as much social interaction...who knows.

I am not saying you are wrong in questioning anything but this is my take from what I've seen so far.

Quoting Anonymous: I don't know if they're on the show, but they have a website with links to their YouTube videos. davidlovespriscilla.com

Quoting Mystic.Falls:

Quoting Mystic.Falls:

What prompted this?

I am just curious.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2014 at 9:02 PM
Moral.

Quoting Bluerose1482:

Are you asking from a moral stand point or a legal one?

SciFiMama91
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 9:07 PM
I feel that depends on each situation.
JP-StrongForTwo
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 9:10 PM

My stbx is mentally retarded. he took advantage of me, and often. mental retardation doesnt make the person. even without MR, he would still be an ass. 

i think it is very possible for a person of average or higher intellegence to be with someone with MR, or other disability. 

if there is mutual love and respect. 

Suzy_Sunshine
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

It is not ok and it reveals that something is very wrong with the more intelligent person. 

Mystic.Falls
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Yes, I know exactly what you mean.

Even if she is perfectly smart,the question is still one that can be discussed. If you hadn't thought of this in the first place then there wouldn't be this question in this post.

Quoting Anonymous: Fair enough. But the David and Priscilla situation was just the catalyst that got me thinking of the issue in general, you know?
Quoting Mystic.Falls:

Quoting Mystic.Falls:

Quoting Mystic.Falls:

What prompted this?

I am just curious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN