Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it ok for people of average or higher intelligence

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
to have a relationship with someone whose IQ puts them just barely in the intellectually disabled(edit - not mentally retarded, my bad) category? Is it taking advantage?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 16, 2014 at 8:38 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2014 at 9:55 PM
Right. Just wondering about the opinions of others.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Fulgent.Drinker:

NO!  Just fucking NO. That one even needs to ask show a lack of intelligence.

Is this in general or toward the op? I think op is just asking what others think not that she hasn't summed up an opinion herself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 16, 2014 at 9:56 PM
LMFAO!!! Seriously??
Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Feb. 16, 2014 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess I personally don't understand why someone would want that... I can't imagine being with someone of significantly higher or lower intelligence than myself.

If I were the more intelligent side, I'd feel as if my partner literally isn't capable of understanding my way of thinking; and if I were the less intelligent one, then I imagine I'd constantly feel inferior to my partner. Neither says "healthy relationship" to me...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:00 PM

I figure. It's like some posts asking questions on here that are hot topics. If you ask the question doesn't mean you are on that side but just asking.

Example:

Should bf be forced and formula be given w/just a script? If this is asked it doesn't necessarily mean they are for it but curious what others have to say. I've seen people get mad at the op for questions that they are only asking.

Quoting Anonymous: Right. Just wondering about the opinions of others.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Fulgent.Drinker:

NO!  Just fucking NO. That one even needs to ask show a lack of intelligence.

Is this in general or toward the op? I think op is just asking what others think not that she hasn't summed up an opinion herself.

norwgnwood
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:01 PM
I wouldn't ..….
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I'll let you know when my son starts dating. 

I know some kids at his school tend to take advantage of him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Why would you want to? I can't see having much of a stimulating conversation with someone with that low of intelligence.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:07 PM
Yes, I think it's possible, but why would one want to have a romantic relationship with someone of a much different IQ?
polkaspots
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:08 PM
I would think it can be okay, but just like any relationship there's ways that if can have a poor balance of power. I would say it's the same as a really meek person with a really confident person. There's a chance one is going to be in charge of everything and put the other one down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marney.p
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:08 PM

what is a stbx?  

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

My stbx is mentally retarded. he took advantage of me, and often. mental retardation doesnt make the person. even without MR, he would still be an ass. 

i think it is very possible for a person of average or higher intellegence to be with someone with MR, or other disability. 

if there is mutual love and respect. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)