Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My daughter and her friends are dumping their teen mom friend :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 113 Replies
One of DD's friends had a baby 10 months ago. They're 17. I was a teen mom so I know how hard it is to be one.

They invited their friend places and she always turned it down because of the new baby, which is responsible and understandable. Since those invitations, my daughter and her friends have purposely started "dumping " her. They said she's "boring" now and all she talks about is her and her baby when they hang out, and they don't like that they have to go to her since she can't meet up with them.

Part of me understands where they're coming from, but my heart hurts for the teen mom losing her best friends too. Would you talk to your daughter about sticking it out as her friend, or not say anything?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tokeahontas
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:51 PM
15 moms liked this
If they were really her friends they wouldnt be "dumping" her ,its hest she lets them go they sound immature and fake.
MommyOfOne2710
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:52 PM
I honestly don't know. I was a teen mom and even now, when my son is 3, I have no friends. You can't force her to be friends with this girl, but I understand how the teen mom feels. It's hard. :( I don't know what I would say to my daughter in that situation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:52 PM

You could say something but I doubt it will do any good. 

Childofares
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:53 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd encourage her to keep the friendship. Some of my friends without kids did that do me at 30 years old and it was painful, I can't imagine how much worse it would hurt at 17. Even if it's just Facebook, making a small effort might really make that girls day as she is probably scared and overwhelmed

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:53 PM
2 moms liked this

They probably don't have anything in common anymore and that makes sense.

I'd talk to my daughter about how X might need a friend to talk to now and then, and it would be nice to be there for her sometimes, but that of course having a baby creates a barrier with other teens, who just cannot relate.

SendMeBabyDust
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this
sadly, I kind of agree. When I was 18, my best friend became a teen mom. I didn't care, we made the friendship work. still best friends years later .

Quoting tokeahontas: If they were really her friends they wouldnt be "dumping" her ,its hest she lets them go they sound immature and fake.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:54 PM

I would say something. Perhaps you could try to suggest a sleep over at your house where the teen mom can bring her baby. Or suggest fun things for your dd to do with the teen mom that are baby friendly.

Try to help your dd see that things are very different for her friend now.

DragonInfinity
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:55 PM

I would talk to her; I wouldn't force her to be friends with her though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:55 PM
7 moms liked this
They're 17. Hanging out with this girl and her baby aren't their idea of fun, and I don't blame them. Does only ever going to her to see her and then listening to her only talk about her baby sound like something a 17 year old would enjoy? They have nothing in common now that she's an overwhelmed new teen mother, and that's perfectly understandable.
wamom223
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:55 PM

You should because you were a teen mom and she doesn't understand who and what she comes from.  Not only that but as a parent this should bother you that she doesn't understand loyalty or responsibility.  Yeah, you know what whether or not you were a teen mom or not do you want your kid treating her friend like this?   Honestly by 17 she should know better and have at least some empathy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)