Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Smoke free policies at work and firing someone...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 509 Replies
My work recently instituted a no smoking policy. This means absolutely no smoking on any work property. The problem is, most of the staff takes public transit to work and our property is very big- our lunch break is half an hour and it would take someone about that to walk off the property and smoke, let alone eat/rest/anything else.

One older lady is disabled and it takes her a really long time to get around. She got caught smoking behind the building last week )someone turned her in and she was fired. She was sobbing and crying when she left :( because I doubt it will be easy for her to find another job.

What do you think of policies like this?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:21 AM
38 moms liked this

I feel bad for the woman but she broke the rules. They can't let some smoke on  the property and not others. That would open up a whole new can of worms

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:23 AM
27 moms liked this
I have no problem with and support smoke free policies.

I have no sympathy for someone who chose to break the rules and getting fired, especially when they put a nasty habit over supporting themselves.
danie24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:23 AM
15 moms liked this

I think no smoking policies are fantastic.

She was fired for breaking the rules. She knew the rules and made a decision to be irresponsible and break them. I don't feel sorry for her at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:26 AM
5 moms liked this
I agree with smoking policies in the workplace, however, I think my employer should keep their policies out of my personal life (i'm talking about employee testing)
I do not believe anyone should lose their job because they smoke.
cindilou13
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:28 AM
4 moms liked this

I think any workplace can insitute policies as they see fit.  They can then enforce said policies within the constraints of the law and their company HR/policy guidelines.  It was her choice to break the rule and she has to live with the consequences. 

I think all workplaces should have a no-smoking policy on company property/during company time for the health of their workers. 

TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:29 AM
7 moms liked this
Businesses should not have to accommodate addicts.
Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this

This. Both the company I work for now as well as the one I worked for previously have No Smoking rules in place. I think it's plenty fair, however at the same time, these companies have always had them in place, so employees were aware of it at their time of hire - if smoking was such a big deal to them, they didn't have to accept the job. It must be hard for someone who is used to being able to smoke to all of a sudden not be able to. But again, rules are rules. 

Quoting Sassy762:

I feel bad for the woman but she broke the rules. They can't let some smoke on  the property and not others. That would open up a whole new can of worms

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't have a problem with the no smoking policy; I have an issue with only a 30 minute lunchtime.  How is an employee supposed to get any necessary personal things done in only a half hour?  Many people need that lunchtime to go run errands or take care of banking.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:32 AM
20 moms liked this
I think their snotty rules. I get not smoking in the building or around the entrances. That is causing problems for other people. To say no smoking even if you remove yourself is just stupid. These rules are just designed to try and force others into conformity. It's bullshit!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:33 AM
5 moms liked this
Tobacco users can buy nicotine gum or patches.
There shouldn't be special treatment because this woman was in a wheelchair. She knew the rule and she willfully broke it. Screw her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN